How Hard?

fastbelly

Hi, I have a question about the SSDT, as an enduro rider I have no problem with the between section going or endurance. My question is, how hard are the sections? I have ridden trials on and off since I was 17, now 50, I now ride trials, both twin shock and modern at clubman level, was expert level in my 20's. I don't mind a struggle. Are most sections ridable for an above average club rider?

This trial is on my bucket list.

Many thanks in advance

Glenn

Hi Fastbelly

Ive ridden the SSDT 3 times so im no expert on this but have dabbled.

The sections are not a walk in the park. They are considerably more difficult than the Normandale rounds i have ridden. A few sections are easy , but most are challenging.

Your fitness is really important. If you have crap fitness you will suffer and by day 3 start to seize up.

I know its billed up as a clubman event.........but that depends what club you belong to.

If your used to riding rocks all day long then you have an advantage. If your a bit overweight, dont ride rocks often and dont do fitness........then shikes !!!!. Its going to be a tough week.

Do not underestimate it. Its a hard event for typical clubman riders.........so get training , jogging etc and get your entry in asap.

I rode it for 12 or 13 years and loved it but it was hurting my Knees (cold and wet and no seat) so I felt I had had my fun up there. I had one retirement - bike overheating problems.

The best thing is to go and watch the event and chat to other riders, and choose a bike that is reliable.

my best bikes I rode were Yamaha monos and TYZ and two years on fantics,they were quicker on the road which gave me more time in the sections (you have to get a move on)

I have seen riders who find it too hard but they still enjoy it and to finish is an achievement! GO FOR IT.

Steve.

having ridden a number of years up scotland i would agree it is a very hard week ,the better your standard of riding the easier it is.i would always tell the locals in my area that you really needed to be in the first 3rd in the results of the 50/50 clubmen results (harder clubmen route) before having a go ,this would seem about right as a few of the local riders of lower ability have retired on the first day in previous years.i personally would have a go at the reeth 3 day trial which has a clubmen route (no walk in the park) and if you got on ok have a go at scotland ,loch lomond 2 day may be worth a go as well ,similar events but a little less time on the bike and maybe more enjoyable.

last year and this could be me getting old but i think sections were harder and longer(bit of a race at times) and a few more big sections which would be daunting for a lower standard rider,it definetly not an easy holiday event and if you enter be well prepared ,as the weather can be horrific.

all that said i still love the event ,will no doubt enter again and a few days in question my sanity.

if it's on your bucket list do it soon as it gets tougher as you get older and as others have said prepare your self and the bike well.

good luck

• Like 2

If you've never been you must go, that applies to everyone. It is unique. If you've turned 50 you must go this year no excuses book it now. You must enter and hopefully you'll get a ride next year.

I rode 6 times in my 20's and 30's on Fantics & Yamaha TY250 monos. I rode again in 2006 at the age of 47 on a 4RT and I struggled. I knew what to expect but the rocks just seemed bigger and more slippery. I finished all 7 times.

Funny thing is I still think I've got one more SSDT in me !

Go on have a go, better to try and fail than to go to your grave wondering what if!

• Like 2

the first stage of prepreration would be to go and watch.. even just a couple of days will give you a fell for the event sections and weather.. you ll know then if you can have a go..

I'm not sure if a two day trip which consisted of a lot of beer & a visit to one section counts? Oh & it was 20 odd years after that I actually rode. I did ride the Pollock the month before I did my first SSDT.

My advice would be get fit & then some. It's got to bike fit though as going to the gym will only do so much. I'd also do a year of riding as many one lap Nationals / multi day events as possible prior to doing an SSDT.

• Like 1

My experience of watching in recent years is that the entry is divided into those who can have a realistic chance of riding each section for a competitive score, say a 1 or 2, and those who struggle on almost every section collecting a bucket load of 5s. A lot of the sections are large rocks which are fine if you can skip across the points of them but sheer hell if you get stuck in the holes between them. Unlike when I rode in the 70s I wouldn't say there are many sections where a lesser rider can foot his or her way through for a controlled 3, it's more do or die than that now.

In addition the daily time limits are a serious issue for those who struggle in the sections, compounded by miles of wet and boggy moors which also sort the competent from the less so in merciless fashion.

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for all the replies. Im from Hertfordshire and generally we don't have many rocks in our trials, they are more about slippery cambers, tree roots and such like. This may well be my biggest problem. I am a tough old bugger and have done things like cycled Lands End to John O groats. 12hr solo enduros at expert level, I ride trials every weekend and all through the winter. I do ride 50/50 sometimes and can finish around halfway up the results in that class and have recently been getting 4th placed in clubman class. I am improving at trials having got back into it last october so I expect to keep improving. Prepping a good bike is no problem for me.

I assume there is only one route on the sections or are there two?

I would not be bothered about the results I would just like to be able to finish it.

I actually did try and enter many years back but was turned down in the ballot. What time of year do the regs come out?

Sorry for all the questions, but then this is SSDT forum!

Glenn

hi, there is just a single route,regs are out november or therabouts,keep an eye on the ssdt website.

the ballot is still there so you just have a to take your chances.

if i lived down south i would try and ride some more northern trials which have terrain thats more rocky,dave rowland and wainwright trials would be good starters as there normally quite rocky streams etc and entrys will soon be out.

any club trials in the richmond area will be good as well but a bit of a trek for you.

I would get up there this year if at all possible (The first day is a public holiday but extend the weekend to take in the pre '65 at Kinlochleven on Friday and Saturday and the SSDT weigh on on Sunday). Some sections, especially on the Monday, are easily reached from the roadside, others a reasonable walk. Bear in mind that if you are using a motor vehicle then you can't follow the event off road. However, Scotland's access laws allow you to walk or use a mountainbike almost anywhere provided you do so responsibly. http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/sites/default/files//docs/enjoy_scotlands_outdoors_leaflet_-_english.pdf

Last minute accommodation availability varies from year to year.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

The 2 recent S3 rounds in Wales would be good training if you do get an entry as not far away for you as would the other Northern S3 rounds and a few of the Northern Normandales. Riding and walking 30 sections different sections every day needs getting used to especially if you only do multi lap events.. Having ridden numerous times and last time 2008 you need to keep pushing on all day to get back in time every day. You can't afford to rush looking at sections as you will find every hole but adversely if you spend too long you will be tight on time.

• Like 1

Hi,

There is no getting away from the fact that the Scottish is a trial out on its own - with virtually nothing to compare with the sheer endurance factors involved - particularly if the weather has one of its awkward spells - but, at your age, I would have thought that the Pre-65 Scottish would be a far better bet.

You would get to ride quite a few of the traditional sections, definitely get to experience some of the atmosphere.

If you would like a reminder of some of the sections, etc., involved in both the Scottish itself - and also the Pre-65 Scottish - then try a look at ORRe - both events have been thoroughly covered with fully illustrated articles and you get immediate free access to ALL the back issues with a simple subscription. Equally there's a lot of merit in trying the Allan Jefferies trial if you want to try your hand on rocks and slippery rocky stream beds - and that also is being featured with lots of photographs.

Just a thought.