280 Pro Clutch Identification

muz122

Hi everyone,

Just stripped my clutch down to see what parts need ordering to cure my clutch drag/difficult starting/noisy kick. I think the bike is a 2003, but understand the 2002 has a different clutch set up so need to be sure (gas gas website only has parts diagrams for 01 or 03). Been looking at the Jim Snell videos, my clutch cover o-rings look similar in size, as per the 2002, however the interior of the cover and the slave spring match more with 2003. I may be wrong though.

Also, there is a broken up plastic part under the kick start shaft bearing, no idea what it is and if it might have been related to my problems?!

post-20778-0-15976000-1431963640_thumb.jpg

Thanks again in advance for all your help.

post-20778-0-71410000-1431963083_thumb.jpg

The plastic thing is the kickstarter stop

MT280226011

There seems to be quite a lot of particles in the engine? Is it from the idle gear/kickstart gear?

Further the case itself is replaced, because it used to bend too much. (after 2003 i think)

Also i do remember something about the spring (the round one on top of the clutch, holded by the +- small bolds) which has become different strenght after some years. Not sure.

Also the fingers are changed sometime. (dont now what year).

Important is to start measuring, search for the correct thickness of plates and off the fingerheight. (its explained in multiple topics so should be findable:))

THis makes or brakes the clutch feel!

Edited by crazybond700
  • Like 1

The plastic thing is the kickstarter stop

MT280226011

There seems to be quite a lot of particles in the engine? Is it from the idle gear/kickstart gear?

Further the case itself is replaced, because it used to bend too much. (after 2003 i think)

Also i do remember something about the spring (the round one on top of the clutch, holded by the +- small bolds) which has become different strenght after some years. Not sure.

Also the fingers are changed sometime. (dont now what year).

Important is to start measuring, search for the correct thickness of plates and off the fingerheight. (its explained in multiple topics so should be findable:))

THis makes or brakes the clutch feel!

Thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned, the particles are from the starter gear....2 missing teeth!  Will do my measurements later and see what I find.

Thanks again,

Matt

Quick update....found my clutch pack is 10.20mm and finger height at 11.90mm. So, I'll start by shaving 0.3mm from a clutch metal plate which should give me an extra 6mm finger height and a nice light clutch! Happy I've found the 3 problems (broken starter gear, broken starter stopper and out of spec clutch thickness). Nothing worse than stripping something down and not finding anything!

Thanks again.  

• 1 month later...

Hi all, just to update the thread for future readers. Skimmed one of the clutch metal plates 0.25mm which corrected the finger height to just under 17mm. New kickstart gear ( the 6 tooth gear), stopper etc. 

Clutch now lovely and light like it's supposed to be  :thumbup:

There is still a rumble type noise when kicking which was there before and was hoping the above work would cure it. Once started it's fine, unless the engine noise overpowers the rumbling noise. Also when rolling it in gear, the same noise can be heard. I'll video it later and upload

Thanks again! 

Is the idle gear ok? Otherwise the kickstart gear wears fast.

You have the ''spring'' of the 6 tooth gear correct? I mean the smaller one, which pulls the gear up. It needs to point to the above so it falls into the sloth in the case.

Those pro clutches do make some noise whichs is ''normal''.