Kawasaki Kt250 Front Forks

zazoo

Any help gratefully received. I have recently taken apart my forks on My KT250 to replace the seals and found no springs inside. sourced some new springs, but didnt realise they were so small and they are in two parts. Looked at an exploded diagram of the forks and it seems there are a lot of gubbins inside that I havent got either, spacers and the likes. Can anyone help with this because I am not sure how they line up inside or what else is needed. I have a workshop manual, but it doesnt help much really

There is meant to be a spacer between the two springs, and an oil deflector. So from the bottom it is damper rod, then spring, then spacer, then other spring, then oil deflector, then cap.

If you have some TY250 springs handy they work just fine in there with a spacer sized to give about 20 to 25mm preload.

If you want to retain the venting on the caps, you will need some sort of oil deflector. I use TY250 (unvented) caps on my KT forks

• Like 1

That is exactly the info I needed thanks. If the photos are not too much trouble that would be great, just to get a look at that spacer so I can get one made perhaps. Sorry is it longer spring after the damper rod?

Hi thats great. Good pictures, but havent got the spacer or the oil deflector. Nightmare! I know I am pushing it, but you couldnt give me some dimensions so I can machine some myself. Pretty please?

The effective length (the distance between the spring seats) of the spring guide/spacer is 123mm. The steel section is 24mm OD. The plastic spring seat is 23.8mm OD. The peg on the plastic spring seat that goes inside the spring is 15.5mm OD. The hole through the middle of the plastic spring seat is 12mm. The four holes in the necked-in section of the steel bit are 5.5mm diameter. The steel that the spacer is made of is 1mm thick. The opposite end to the plastic piece is formed inwards about 3mm to make a flat spring seat

The oil deflector is also formed from 1mm thick steel. The OD of the cup section that goes inside the top spring is 16.3mm. The cup section is 52.5mm long and has a single 1.75mm hole in the side near the bottom.

The original long spring is a slightly smaller OD on the bottom end to the top end, and the oil deflector will only fit in the bigger end.

I am yet to work out why the arrangement for the springs in these forks is so elaborate compared to every other set of 1970s forks I have worked on.

I will leave the springs out for a while in case you have any more questions

• Like 2

Sorry for such a late reply, I have been away. That is brilliant information. I think you have covered everything. I will get back to you if I need any more info. You are a gent sir. Thank you for your time

• Like 1