Beta Smoketoomuch

neonsurge

Well, both me and the bike actually but it's the bike I'm asking about here. My Rev3 ('03 250) seems excessively smoky - even when hot and on idle it's puffing out blue smoke. I run my fuel at 80:1 using semi-synthetic and I've cleaned the carb, repacked the silencer, replaced the air filter etc. etc. - all the usual stuff and the bike runs perfectly apart from this. It's certainly not a chronic problem and I've seen bikes that are far worse but it's a bit of a worry nonetheless.

Any ideas? Might a change of oil brand work (I'm using Ipone semi)?

Thanks for all the suggestions. It doesn't smell like coolant (which is a good thing, right :lol:) although I guess it could be oil the front/mid pipe. I'll also try mixing my fuel a bit more carefully - the Ipone stuff I've been using comes with a mixing chamber in the bottle and I've been using that 'cos I'm lazy. I'll try being a bit more careful and see how it goes.

I run my bike on Ipone semi....and the recomended ratio is 50:1 like on the mixer at the top of the bottle,you can run your bike at 70/80:1 on fully synthetic only

50:1 = 4ltrs fuel requires 80ml of oil

This is what I`ve been told by Lampkins and has worked well for me since I made the mistake of running 80:1 when I first got my Beta ,I came off and the bike was revving its nuts off for a really short amount of time but it was to late ....knackered cylinder

hope this helps

Edited by Dr Nick

Once again, thanks for everyone's suggestions (except Charlie who has once again managed to place the seeds of doubt in my mind - thanks mate :lol: ) Only joking, I'm definitely not losing coolant anywhere :lol:

Beta120690, trialsmonkey.co.uk isn't my site but I did knock it together on behalf of Brad Davison (who posts on here as lastplacebrad). As you can tell there's some work still to do, most notably the online purchasing but I know that the tools are going to be Silverline and I have a CD here full of images and pricing to get on there at some point. Drop Brad an email or PM if you're looking for cheap tools 'cos I know he can get just about anything at a very good price. Alternatively, collar one of us the next time you're up at the camp.