Carb Question From Newbie

lpd

I own a 2000 200TXT and am wondering how the two screw on the carb are to be adjusted. The bike seems to idle high. First screw (on the left side) is out 3 1/2 turns, the second I'm not sure. Any help is appreciated.

One of the Screws sets the Idle this is usually the bigger of the two. The other screw is the mixture. Usually turning the idle screw in until the revs drop to an acceptable level will sort out any problems. The Mixture screw regulates the air/fuel mix. I'd be a little careful on this but it's the one one at 3 1/2 turns it sounds as tho it's a little far out. Turn adjusting it starting at 1 and a 1/2 turns out. Basically adjust until the bike doeesn't stall at idle and picks up cleanly when you need it too. Then remember the settings. I was discussing this with another Dad on Sunday and he's found that his lads bike needed five minutes to settle and make adjustments when moving between venues depending on the height of the venue.

Edited by Telecat

On the gasgas' the front screw.. nearest the cylinder... is a mixture screw, but it is a fuel screw on these delorto carbs. 3.5 turns isthe basic setting. The other one is the tickover screw. Start by removing the carb and giving it a very good clean out. unscrew the jets from inside and make sure they are very clean all the way through... if you have access to an air line all the better. Then warm the bike up and see how it goes.. if it is a gasgas i take it the clutch drags a bit when cold... i adjust the tickover a little high untill it is very warm, this stops the clutch drag from causing you to stall every time you try a slow turn!!

My bike has almost no drag. It used to but I suspect my clutch is a little worn. No matter how I adjust the lever the drag is minimal. I used to have my friction point quite close to the bar. It is now further from the bar and it seems that no matter how I adjust the lever it changes very little.

Thanks for the info. I checked my fuel screw and it was 4 turn out for starters. I'll clean the carb and let you know how it turns out.

Just redid the fork fluid today with a lighter weight 5W for the winter.