The Interview

michael_t

I have read that Vertigo are basing their plans on a production capacity of ten bikes per day.

If this operates at full capacity it would equate to a global market share of around 25%

2500 bikes and this is just a quarter of the market ? So obviously, someone puts the market at 10,000 bikes per annum !  I certainly don't feel it is anywhere like that high. Where is the data to support that please? 

• Like 1

2500 bikes and this is just a quarter of the market ? So obviously, someone puts the market at 10,000 bikes per annum ! I certainly don't feel it is anywhere like that high. Where is the data to support that please?

TMX article today quotes 10 bikes per day. 225 working days per year = 2,250 bikes p.a.

Todo trial recently published survey puts the market at 8,000 bikes.

2,250 represents 28% of 8,000; hence around 25% based on the two published sources.

TMX article today quotes 10 bikes per day. 225 working days per year = 2,250 bikes p.a.

2,250 represents 28% of 8,000; hence around 25% based on the two published sources.

Thanks for that :)  8000 bikes a year puts the trials market at around £45 Million! and with clothes etc , That must up it to £50 Million+ !  Who said there wasn't any money in trials ?  :guinness:

Thanks for that :) 8000 bikes a year puts the trials market at around £45 Million! and with clothes etc , That must up it to £50 Million+ ! Who said there wasn't any money in trials ? :guinness:

There can often be a discrepancy between production capacity & market size. The automotive sector suffered from this for many years, possibly still does, but it's fifteen years since I've worked in that sector.

I think you forget parts for all 8000 bikes a year sold in the past!

Absolutely !  -- I am still struggling with the idea that 8000 trials bikes are sold worldwide per year though! I would have put it nearer to 3 - 4000 as a guess ?

Evan at 8000 units per year it still makes you ask how do all of these factories make enough to survive.

Anyone care to guess how much profit there is per bike from a manufacturers point of view ?

If Vertigo build 10 bikes per day they must expect to make a lot to cover the design / tooling and I imagine a full factory team for the coming year, it has been discussed on another thread 'what do you think the top riders earn ?' Well they need to move more than 10 bikes a day to cover some peoples guess at the salaries paid !

It seems to me you have to be independently wealthy to even consider getting into the business of trials... small salaries, small profit, huge amount of pride and fun in producing a winning machine (it isn't always about the money although nobody likes to take a loss. Seems some of these guys might just be in it to prove they can build a better bike. If I was really rich I might give it a go myself B)

Edited by michael_t

These production numbers probably justify Honda apparently building the whole years production in one go then storing the bikes and drip feeding the market.

It would also explain Hondas inflated pricing structure as no matter what the 'quality build' fanatics say, their bikes do not cost £1000 more to build especially if built in one huge batch.

What I mean is there is not enough margin for a large business like Honda in the more normal £5500 price range.

Edited by collyolly

It seems to me you have to be independently wealthy to even consider getting into the business of trials... small salaries, small profit, huge amount of pride and fun in producing a winning machine (it isn't always about the money although nobody likes to take a loss. Seems some of these guys might just be in it to prove they can build a better bike. If I was really rich I might give it a go myself B)

At the end the only thing that shareholders want is money

Spanish take august off dont forget.