The Interview

michael_t

At the end the only thing that shareholders want is money

That is not always the case for things people get passionate about. Guys who sail in the America's Cup spend around $200 Million for no real return (especially all that lose) I'm sure some write some of it off as a marketing expense but do you know anybody who buys Oracle products because there CEO races in the America's cup?

I think it is clear in that the owner is very passionate about trials and about the SSDT in particular. The whole design of the bike is about having a bike that somebody like himself can ride and enjoy. There may not be any shareholders this may be simply the pet project of a rich individual, it may have already met its objectives of being the best SSDT bike ever built. The owner has great business sense and this might allow it to be a huge financial success for him and a great boost for the sport... I just wouldn't assume it is always about the money not everyone is wired that way. This is actually a fairly reasonable endeavour compared to an America's Cup campaign and way better chance of return on investment IMO.

Good interview with Dougie - https://www.joomag.com/magazine/trials-enduro-news-september-2015-volume-50-issue-9/0147954001440532610?page=94

Interesting article on the cost of the America's Cup - http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2013/09/26/cost-compete-34th-americas-cup/

Having the capacity or ability to build 10 bikes per day every day of the year is a bit different from selling 10 per day every day !

If they had said they were going to build 20 a day would we then believe they were looking for 50 %

On another thread it has been suggested that GG had back orders for 1000 bikes, any truth in that ?

That is not always the case for things people get passionate about. Guys who sail in the America's Cup spend around $200 Million for no real return (especially all that lose) I'm sure some write some of it off as a marketing expense but do you know anybody who buys Oracle products because there CEO races in the America's cup?

I think it is clear in that the owner is very passionate about trials and about the SSDT in particular. The whole design of the bike is about having a bike that somebody like himself can ride and enjoy. There may not be any shareholders this may be simply the pet project of a rich individual, it may have already met its objectives of being the best SSDT bike ever built. The owner has great business sense and this might allow it to be a huge financial success for him and a great boost for the sport... I just wouldn't assume it is always about the money not everyone is wired that way. This is actually a fairly reasonable endeavour compared to an America's Cup campaign and way better chance of return on investment IMO.

Good interview with Dougie - https://www.joomag.com/magazine/trials-enduro-news-september-2015-volume-50-issue-9/0147954001440532610?page=94

Interesting article on the cost of the America's Cup - http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2013/09/26/cost-compete-34th-americas-cup/

I understand that, but like you mention, that only works if one guy is able to pay for it. If the company grows and shareholders come into the game, they want a profit...

Funny thing that. I worked for a large IT company and we grew to the point we decided to go public (over 3,000 employees)and became listed on the NY stock exchange got to ring the bell it was all pretty cool. All of a sudden everything was focused on quarterly earnings and pleasing shareholders they actually even changed the companies "core values" to include "improve stakeholders return on investment" the company kind of stagnated. About 3 years later a wealthy fellow came along and bought the company and took it off the stock exchange the focus moved back towards long term growth and looking out further than just the next quarters results... It didn't actually help much and after another 2 years a huge Japanese company bought it.

At the end of the day if I started a company building trials bikes specifically for my needs I would keep it small and focused and retain ownership instead of selling out to a bunch of people who just wanted to get rich off my brainchild. I might let a few special investors like Dougie join as I would know his head was in the right place.

I guess we will see in 3 weeks what comes to light in Milan but I hope he keeps the focus on Trials!

Edited by michael_t
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting statement...

Especially the BMW part; bmw is out of offroading etc. So is it just a bit of bragging? we will see.

Maybe they are making some kind of enduro type, or playbike like the KTM freeride or beta Xtrainer or like the ALP or something.

I would hope they first sell trials bikes before that kind of projects, we have seen enough not make it.

post-19159-0-22054900-1447766823_thumb.jpg

Check the frame

post-19159-0-10142400-1447766994_thumb.jpg

post-19159-0-62148400-1447767025_thumb.jpg

Me likie

post-19159-0-64474100-1447767264_thumb.jpg

Edited by crazybond700

The V trials bikes dont do it for me but .... I like that Ursus a lot .It got a big chunky Yorkie bar look . Im in the market for a new road bike at the moment so if the price is right  ...i might .

Vertigo have just shown their plan of survival - diversification.

Is that engine their own ? Anyone know the capacity ?