Midlife Crisis Return

monty349

Hello All,

After an absence of 30 years plus I decided to have another go at keeping my feet up.

Back in the day I rode Bultaco's but could not find one to make my "come back" on so ended up with a 1980 349 Cota instead.

I remember riding one in the early 80's although not as agile as a Sherpa (bit longer wheelbase) it felt stable, think I am going to need all the stability I can get!

The bike is a black frame red tank model, but not the SSDT replica, my memory is not that good but I think the SSDT came out in to celebrate win before the white tank red frame World Championship replica which I think was 1981?

My question is did the 349 come into production in 1979? or did Montesa run two models in 1980 as my bike appears to have a slightly different tank unit, fibreglass over alloy with a smaller seat and no fuel level pipe. I seem to recall that the SSDT was all plastic or polypropylene and possibly not road legal although I had similar on my blue Bultaco and it was never questioned?

Any Montesa historians out there?

post-21842-0-33378000-1446039024_thumb.jpg 

• Like 3

Welcome Back  !!!!

I don't know $hit about your bike questions  , but I bought a couple of basket case Fantics a few years ago  after a 30+ year hiatus from the sport ,(had never even heard of a Fantic before  !!!) And have never looked back . Ride the bike and have fun , us old guys will keep the sport alive for ever ....

The info is out here , ride the bike ...

Glenn

Hi, Thanks for reply, my fading memory seems to recall seeing the plastic tank models at events in the North West Centre early 80's (mostly Sandiford supplied) perhaps like me with my Bultaco the owners bought the aftermarket "Works" tank to protect the stock one from Lancashire rocks?