What Would You Buy ...?

dingle

Thanks chaps, a wealth of good opinions on here. I was considering a day at inch perfect tbh, or possibly BUMPY as that's who I rode with at the NEC.

Try Inch Perfect for an Experience Day, as they are a dealer too and will have a large number of different makes of bikes/sizes to try - even new demos on a fab 100 acre site

If you have a day on a bike, in REAL terrain, you'll know what suits best and I reckon you'll end up with a BETA/Sherco/GasGas 250 in the end and NOT a 4RT

It'll be money well spent and reduces the chance of you wasting a shedload of money on the WRONG BIKE

• Like 2

My Scorpa 300 2015 arrived today - I will get out on it in the week and let you know what I think.

I had 1/2 hour in the yard this afternoon and have the feeling I  will be starting a new thread entitled " whats the best way to soften a scorpa 300"

But otherwise it felt great......compared to my 2008 sherco 290 I noticed

Loads of lock - very lively in the suspension and easy to hop around - well balanced - nice flexible rear mudguard - choke an a*** to get to.

Get a decent 200 or 250 2t for £1500 to £2500. You will lose far less £ in a year than you will lose the day you wheel a new 300 out of the showroom.

If you were starting road racing would you start on a moto GP bike?

Any trials bike over 250 (260 4rt) is a waste of time for 95% of riders. The power of a 300 is is not needed and in most sections is a handicap.

Nearly all marks at a trial are the result of loss of grip, loss of balance or loss of control, NOT lack of power.

• Like 3

Nearly all marks at a trial are the result of loss of grip, loss of balance or loss of control, NOT lack of power.

+1  

It took me a few competitions to really understand how much loss of grip, balance or control, not power, was my primary point takers.  

Road racing and trials isnt a good analogy for lots of reasons - but anyhow It speaks for itself that a 200/250 is a better bike for lower levels when you look at the entries list over here - only the s2 and up seem to prefer 300's and still then 250 are at least as popular in s2 which is a decent level, Im not sure but I think clubman is about s3 ?

Road racing and trials isnt a good analogy for lots of reasons - but anyhow It speaks for itself that a 200/250 is a better bike for lower levels when you look at the entries list over here - only the s2 and up seem to prefer 300's and still then 250 are at least as popular in s2 which is a decent level, Im not sure but I think clubman is about s3 ?

WHERE ARE YOU AND WTF IS S3?

A competition "outdoor" of motorcycle trial takes place on a circuit (inter-zone) of fifteen kilometers, which are demarcated sections (areas) in which the competitors, each in turn, try to overcome obstacles (rocks , slopes, roots, etc.) by posing the least possible ground feet, all pilots operating successively in the same areas. But according to their qualities of pilots, they operate in different plots. There are several difficulty levels from beginner (Senior 4) to the ace pilot (expert).

Motorcycle trials, the categories are different for the championship.

In regional championship, they are in ascending order of difficulty: Senior 4 (S4), Senior 3 (S3), Senior 3+ (S3 +), Senior 2 (S2), Open (S2 +), S1, Expert. Category S3 + to make half of the areas S3 and the other half in S2, it is the same case for the class with Open half of the areas S2 and S1 in the other half.

In France championship, they are in ascending order of difficulty: 2 Senior, Open, Senior 1 Expert 1.

World championship, they are in ascending order of difficulty: 125 cm 3, and Junior World. The first is reserved for under 18 traveling in the 125 cm 3.

The pilots first run off in each zone to observe the terrain, see the delicate passages and observe other drivers in their class spend in the area. Then they are entitled to one run on motorbikes per turn. Several Commissioners account for the number of feet caused by the competitor and assign a point total. Each competitor wears a small cardboard (tie) on which the Commissioner will punch the number of points awarded to the driver. At the end of each round (usually three) give the driver his tie at the registration desk totaling the number of points and this office will total points on total laps. The winners will be those drivers, in each category, with the fewest points.

• Like 1

I knew that but pretty sure the majority dont and it just reinforces the other thread about where you come from.

I had to use google to figure out where Milton Keynes was in England and that Richmond MC is in Virginia USA, I also used it to figure out what S3 was despite the person asking already knowing... I guess it is a good thing we are all trials riders and enjoy trying to figure out the best line in life.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to think I have enough throttle control not to mash it into the nearest tree !

Yeh I thought that (I have similar a riding history as you) but what I have learned over the last couple of years of trials riding is that there is throttle control and then there is trials throttle control!

My first bike was a GG280 on the basis that I'm 6'1" and just slightly south of 20 stone, did the usual 'road bike thing' more power is never a bad thing... well it darned near tried to kill me! Bailed off the back of it time after time trying to go up stuff, chopped it in and got a 250 and never looked back. The only reason I don't have my 250 now is because my son has stolen it off me and rides it, so I had to get another bike (thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it!), I currently have a Beta 300 4t. Absolutly love it, only got the 300 because it came up in the local trials shop and I couldn't resist, would have had the 250 if there had been one there instead though as even with my fat a*** on it a 250 easily did everything I asked of it including getting me up an over 4-5 foot obstacles. You will soon learn that trials is all about technique and not the bikes power, just wait till you do your first trial on your shiny new 300 and the old boy who can hardly walk let alone ride on the twinshock rides rings round you - I'm speaking from experience!

• Like 1