What Would You Buy ...?

dingle

I live in France and had the chance to ride at a demo day

2016 models

Beta 250 - Vertigo - Sherco 250/300 - Scorpa 250

we had 15minutes or so on each in a practice area.

For me personally at the moment the 250 Scorpa was perfect - it also stood out to lots of riders of various levels.

I have been riding motorbikes forever and trials a couple of years or so and if I compete next year will enter s3 or s3+ depending if I get time to practice a bit this back end :)

• Like 1

I live in France and had the chance to ride at a demo day

2016 models

Beta 250 - Vertigo - Sherco 250/300 - Scorpa 250

we had 15minutes or so on each in a practice area.

For me personally at the moment the 250 Scorpa was perfect - it also stood out to lots of riders of various levels.

I have been riding motorbikes forever and trials a couple of years or so and if I compete next year will enter s3 or s3+ depending if I get time to practice a bit this back end :)

What was better on the scorpa compared to the sherco?

Why was the scorpa better than the vertigo? Just really interested.....thanks.

There is no better way than back to back testing.

I thought the Vertigo felt like a bike for a S1 grade or better rider - for me the motor even on map 4 felt strong and it also it felt very rigid - overall quality was great but there are one or 2 small details that need sorted and I have no doubt will be.

The Beta 250 - I thought it a bit too soft and if didnt feel very lively suspension wise - ( there was no 300 to try unfortunatley) - shame I wanted to like the beta as I think they look great.

The 250 Sherco felt nice but didnt seem to turn like the Scorpa  - the 300 sherco felt kind of snorty and flat at the bottom then the transition seemed abrupt.

The Scorpa 250 I thought engine  great - not flat and then too strong but lively without been either - it felt light and lively and turned like a Beta - I felt confident on it it 5minutes.

But all that said a lot depends on the level you ride - what you normally ride - where you were riding and what sort of sections - how each bike was set up - in what order you tried them and so on and so on - so actually I dont suppose it means bugger all :)

I am coming off a 2008 Sherco 290

I was waiting for the Scorpa  2016 250 demo bike that I had ridden to come available but when it did he didnt want my old bike in px , I wasnt  interested in selling my old bike private so spoke to another company I use for my spares and they had a couple of used 300's 2015 but no demo 250/300 2016's - so instead of doing the sensible thing and waiting for a 250 2016 to come up I bought one of them - I didnt want to buy brand new as it was a fair hike price wise between mine and new.

So I hope the 300 Scorpa rides more like the 250 Scorpa than the 300 Sherco :) it arrives in a few days.

Edited by ftp

Buy whatever brand of bike (new or used) that has great local parts support in your area. The biggest problem in trials (I've found) is that if you don't have a great parts supply or a really good local distributor you can be weeks without parts especially for unexpected problems. I know it's not the a greatest thing to say, but try and buy whatever the popular well stocked brand of bike is in your area. 

In regards to what I would buy, I recently (15 months ago) made the decision to buy a bike for the first time and went with a 5 year old 2010 Beta EVO 125. At the time I was 120 kg and the bike had no trouble hauling me around the Clubman/C-Grade (Australia) lines. It's a strange phenomena that once you add the pressure of competition and throw some tapes up, how quickly you realise you're not in control of your bike, this is only amplified when you have a 250,280,290 or 300cc bike. Even on the 125 it took a few months to rid the feeling of being a passenger, even today I'm still not using 100% of the bikes potential. If you're a sensible weight a 125cc bike is a great learning tool and in the right hands is a very capable machine. It really depends what you want out of the sport, but I think a 125 for 12 months will force you to really focus on proper technique, than just blasting over objects with throttle. Juniors spend a large portion on a 125 for a reason and it only made sense to me to follow that path. 

The only con/pro to a second hand bike is you become very quickly acquainted with repairs and dealing with your local parts distributor. I had zero mechanical skills before I bought the bike so it's been a great learning experience. Ideally a fresh bike would have made my first year easier, but now I have the skills I feel more than confident to perform a multitude of repair tasks and adjustments (for rider comfort) which might have seemed a little too daunting on a brand new bike. The con is that for a new rider, if something is already a problem is might not be apparent it's an issue because you don't know any better. 

125cc adult rider. 

UyXAbi2l.png

Hope this helps.

Edited by jml
  • Like 1

If you buy a brand new bike you will love it, the day you pick it up from the dealer. This elation will be diluted a bit with every minor scuff and scrape you apply to its appearance. As a beginner,if you don't find this happening it means you aren't trying stuff which, with practice, will improve your abilities, or are sticking to easy riding well within your capabilities, in which case an older and much cheaper bike would do the job anyway.

If you buy a brand new bike you will love it, the day you pick it up from the dealer. This elation will be diluted a bit with every minor scuff and scrape you apply to its appearance. As a beginner,if you don't find this happening it means you aren't trying stuff which, with practice, will improve your abilities, or are sticking to easy riding well within your capabilities, in which case an older and much cheaper bike would do the job anyway.

I'll second that. I've had a few stacks and apart from being worried about damaging the controls (levers etc.), I'm never really concerned about any cosmetic damage to the bike. I think if I was on a new bike I would of been far more concerned to beat on it as much and been a little too cautious. If you do end up going second hand, get the newest bike you can afford for your budget. There are a lot of great 1-4 year old bikes to be had, saving you anywhere up to 30% of the retail price.

Here is the bike your looking for, its a TRW FUTURE MONTESA EX JAMES DABILL WTC bike full of titanium bolts etc.it is about as close as an ordinary person could get to owning a bike like Toni Bou uses and at a 10th of the price plus It is perfect for a beginner.... as people say it will only go as much as you twist the throttle and it will hold its money as an investment for its rarity value alone plus masses of kudos.Its on Ebay now £7.500.00

its not like bous bike at all, looks special but is far from it, and never worth 7500 you would be much better off with a new rr.

• Like 1

Do not even try to tell me that trials motorcycles have changed so much in the last 7/8 years, or we will have to go back to 1993 and see them hopping on the back wheel/flick turning on bikes that weigh about 12kgs more than they do now.

I would say the the importance of a modern bike is both in having access to plentiful parts and also having a bike that's benefited from all generations of bikes previous bikes R&D. I'd kill for some of the improvements that later model Betas have incorporated into their bikes, basic design changes that would just make my life easier. I don't believe it would benefit my riding but would help with longevity and maintenance.