Would You Buy A Jota Gas

metisse

I am obviously biased as I own a 2014 and now a 2015 Jotagas. Great bike, love the suspension and the tracking of that to the ground and the tractability and low down torque or maybe it just suits my riding. Easy bike to keep clean as so much more open around the engine than other bikes I have owned. Also like being able to easily maintain the suspension, so easy to take off the shock and look after the bearings - sure beats dogbones. I also like the engine characteristics or is it the mating of the engine to the suspension. Yes, I have done some fiddling and tweaking (isn't that why we buy a bike) and fitted Boyesen Reeds to the 2014 and may do the same to the 2015. Also took the dremel to the frame to improve the turning circle (3.5mm off the frame works a treat). So yes, I would buy a Jotagas and if people don't then how can manufacturers keep in business - most bikes are well beyond most of our capabilities but we all have our own preferences - with none of us actually perfect. My comments are also made with being downunder in Western Australia and not having the expectation that the motorcycle shop down the road will have every bike or part I might need. My perception is that those closer to manufacturers in the northern hemisphere are a little spoilt - boy the joys of easy access to the range of availability. Ultimately, we each need to enjoy our sport and supporting diversity is not a bad thing, no bike is perfect, just some riders are more perfect than me.

• Like 1

Yes I would. The bikes are the best I've ridden , are trick and more exclusive from my view point than the others. The company is secure with a new factory. They update their bikes every year and have a new UK importer Vince from Haven who is a very down to earth friendly guy. On top of the others there is also a new French importer soon to be released. You can buy one now in THE UK.

As I've repeatedly kept saying Jotagas won't die. It is a small company ticking along just fine and it's bosses passion. They make a profit and with small over heads they don't need to sell .

My only criticism of them is that their publicity is almost non existent although they do have a new website. They don't seem to concerned about advertising more as every bike they produce is sold. Excluding the UK . I know some importers have been waiting a while for their bikes.

For all the reason's I've started I wouldn't buy anything else.

• Like 2

I have a 2014 250 and I don't want anything else.Its very light ,has the best forks out there,it grips well,is very torquey and revs very high if needed.Ive ground a bit off the lock stops,it now has sufficient lock for me.Routine maintenance is easy,it all fits back together without forcing things inline,seems made to a standard not down to a price.When brand new it felt very tight ,took more running in than others I've had,every bearing had been fully greased and every bolt loctited,I stripped it to check it and needn't have done.Only trouble I've had is the bearing on the clutch release failing,and the gear change shaft breaking,which has been modified on the later ones.Spares are cheap and available from Haven trials .Id have another one,mine still feels tight and new now .They were too dear when mine was new,but are more competitively priced now,very underrated bike,try one

• Like 2

I have a 2014 250 and I don't want anything else.Its very light ,has the best forks out there,it grips well,is very torquey and revs very high if needed.Ive ground a bit off the lock stops,it now has sufficient lock for me.Routine maintenance is easy,it all fits back together without forcing things inline,seems made to a standard not down to a price.When brand new it felt very tight ,took more running in than others I've had,every bearing had been fully greased and every bolt loctited,I stripped it to check it and needn't have done.Only trouble I've had is the bearing on the clutch release failing,and the gear change shaft breaking,which has been modified on the later ones.Spares are cheap and available from Haven trials .Id have another one,mine still feels tight and new now .They were too dear when mine was new,but are more competitively priced now,very underrated bike,try one

• Like 3

Yes I would, I have a 2014 300 and love it. Power delivery is great, Grip is amazing especially in the wet. A friend of mine is Selling his 2015 300 Evo to get one as he was so impressed with the grip lightness and how easy it was to throw around. I would definitely get another one. REALLY GOOD BIKE

• 3 weeks later...

I've just bought a 2014 300 and absolutely love it, been a Beta man since I can remember owning Rev 3's and an Evo, the Jgas finds grip in the muddy conditions,had to file off the stops to give better turning lock. Brilliant bike.

Just 1 question for the guy's that have owned the Jgas for a while, what fluids are you using, gearbox and pre mix?

I use ATF in the gearbox and change it quite regularly, either every four or five rides or whenever it looks mucky in the sightglass.  I use Rock Oil or Putoline synthetic 2T oil with super unleaded.  The original Jotagas premix recommendation was 100:1 and I've used that since 2012.  I've had no trouble using 100:1 in the Jotagas and when I had the barrel off recently I found nothing untoward and was pleasantly surprised by how well the piston and bore were coated with oil.

I use GRO light gear oil,it gives a progressive bite point and minimal drag,and GRO 2t at 70/1.Expensive compared to some I know but you get what you pay for.I did try ATF in the gearbox and found the gear change less smooth and the clutch too sharp.Great bike aren't they

Used Putoline GP10 and Castrol TTS (now Power 1) in the Beta, I see a lot of people recommending ATF for the Jgas,think I will stick with the GP10 and see how this performs.

Got to agree huski,great bike, never thought I would leave the Beta brand.

Next question, 100/1 or 70/1 or anybody running anything in between, thinking about using Putoline TT Trials Pro.

It's not a competition to see how little 2T oil you can use, but I wouldn't use more than 80:1 because the unburnt oil saturates the exhaust packing and anybody who has done it will tell you the tailpipe is a bitch to re-pack if it's never been done before.