A Question About Building A Section

3nex

Hello everyone,

I am not a trial rider at all, I only enjoy watching the sport. I just have a short question I've been wondering about.

Is there a video on Youtube for example, that shows how a trial section is being built? Because sometimes watching those constructions, it makes me wonder how the whole thing stays upright so sturdy. Sometimes it's obvious if it's a cement block or something, but for some very tall and relatively thin constructions, it seems like it should be fairly easy to knock down when "slamming into it" with a bike. So I'm wondering if there is a video where someone shows the process of building it, maybe talking about it as well.

Thanks in advance :)

• Like 1

Not a video, but usually the stuff is pretty heavy.

We use a lot of wood here, from old train tracks. That together with poles (as used for fences) makes a good base. Big rocks and stones stay where they are almost by themselfs, a bit of sand and they dont go anywhere. Big concrete pipes are also blocked with sand.

Right. Well I get rocks, and sand of course. That other stuff, I guess it depends on what you do with it...

But what about these two for example: http://imgur.com/a/bC3Og ?
These seem kind of "counter-intuitive". The blue pipe would look easy to knock down when you ram it, unless it's filled with cement all the way from top to bottom?

The yellow one even worse, either easy to knock down or weak enough to fall through...

Edited by 3nex

The yellow ones look like they are made from reinforced concrete and probably weigh nearly half a ton each, they are also ratchet strapped together. The blue ones are either steel, timber or concrete maybe a mixture of all three, they'll either be weighed down by filling with concrete or sand, maybe special straps holding them together or bolted to the floor.