290 Carb/ignition Settings

iamspuddy78

ive just got a 2003 sherco 290 my k3gsxr1000 racebike is parked up till next season , thought i'd give trials a go..

as per usual i can't stop tinkering. has anybody changed carb settings from standard ie as advised on shercousa

http://www.shercousa.com/pdfs/sherco_carb_...nstructions.pdf

http://www.shercousa.com/pdfs/sherco_ignit...iming_guide.pdf

any advisable mods would be appriciated i cant find any information on sag settings for rear shock?

cheers.

...any advisable mods would be appriciated i cant find any information on sag settings for rear shock?

cheers.

Before making any adjustments to the rear shock make sure you back off the adjusting collar locking grubscew (if fitted).

Try starting with 2 1/2 to 3 inches of sag while balancing on bike, and an inch unloaded.

Then adjust to suit your own needs depending on the terrain and how high you want the rear end to kick/unload.

Also adjust the damping in your legs as they should play an equal part.

too late.

looks like the previous owner had majorly retarded the ignition..ive now put it back to slightly advanced over stock and it picks up alot quicker and cleaner.

sherco usa recommend 118 main and 36 pilot.. over the 126/33 standard this should richen the mixture over the first 1/3 to 1/2 of slide travel then be leaner at full throttle .Has anybody done this ? yes and no noticable difference or yes and too lean or am i going to be the guinea pig?? :D

Hey jetting sure can be different. Personal tastes, area, etc.

In the Area I'm at ( sherco land) ( 500ft. elevation)( humid)

03' I ran 115 main 38 pilot If real muddy raised the needle for a fat midrange.

04' 116m 38p

My 05' runs 118m 38p Runs too lean when it gets hot with a 36

Plug checks show I could go lower.

I want mine to rev clean without having to wring it out before going into a section.

A buddie just changed his from a 36 to 38 last weekend. Couldn't keep it from

pinging. Kept saying that is what Sherco usa says to use.

We do stop and hop don't know if that makes a difference. But sudden

burst of throttle would cause pinging with anything less than 36p

Milt

:D Test it with a new batch of mixed gas Optimax in the UK

do a plug check - only change one thing at a time. The fuel screw should only be adjusted a quarter turn at a time - makes a big difference. The guy from the States must be living in a really humid area Dabster. - No need to change much in your neck of the woods as it rains all the b***dy time !! Sorry you have to change your clothes ! <_<