Front Axle Seized On New Scorpa Twenty

samw

Just a word of warning. When I first tried to take the front axle out after 9 months of ownership it had seized in the fork slider. (The slider with no pinch bolt). I had to drill it out. Worth taking out to grease now and then. I imagine the new shercos are the same.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would have tried a mix of hot water and a freeze spray before resorting to drilling.

Dropping the stanchions out of the yokes and removing the mudguard stay usually enables stuck axles to be removed.

• Like 1

The Buell models with the fuel in frame and oil in swinging arm were bad for this, they left the factory without a hint of grease on the rear spindle. When it was time for the spindle to be removed they were invariably seized in. Some owners and indeed 'factory trained mechanics', in the words of Bob Dylan in 'Tangled up in blue', used 'a little too much force' and the result was the oil tank/swinging arm was damaged and required a new one costing a ridiculous amount of money. The steel spindle had reacted against the alloy swinging arm and had welded themselves together. Had somebody slopped about 3p worth of copper grease on at the factory, this would have saved a lot of grief and expense.