Old Newbie

chaser

Recently started trials at the tender age of 62, can`t believe that when I see it written down as in my head I am only 22 :closedeyes:

Not had bikes for donkeys years as my missus hates them but she relented when I told her it was only for going slow and round a few twigs. ;) Last off road bike was a KTM 250 crosser in the early `80`s

Already on my second bike, I started with a 250 Gasgas (`02) and the other day I bought an Ossa 280i (11/12)

The forum has already be a great source of information on the Ossa reference the starting issues etc. but I have already added a temporary diy battery fix till I can get a more professional kit.

Other issues were a very worn rear wheel bearing, which must have been the original. Ordered from Trials and Tribulations one day and arrived the next...great service. I will also fit a slow action throttle as the quick action one fitted feels really snappy and I feel it may get me into trouble.

Only done 2 trials up to now and only doing the baby sections :P

• Like 1

I started trials at 58 years young.  Been doing it 2 years and I ride in a competition every weekend - mostly the "Easy" sections.  Still only about 20 in my head though !  

You are only as old as you feel and it's never too late to start.  

Edited by stpauls
  • Like 2

Hi,

I have recently started again after over 30 years, at just over 50.

My head is willing, being only 20 something, but my knees are a different thing all together, after nearly 30 years at work in all weathers often on my knees.

I have been practising floater turns this week, concentrating on hip action as recommended by someone on this site.

My knees are moaning today!

I'm sure I'm too old to be fooling around on a modern bike but I love it...it's good exercise too if you practise rock steps and hopping.

I hope you enjoy it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great - I am not the only old newbie here !

Please see my first message in the electric bike section. I started a few weeks ago at the age of 53 !

Just bought real trials boots and a helmet yesterday - oh what a difference ! Also, I got a decent tire pressure gauge..... and aired the delivery pressures down to 6/4 PSI as recommended. Now (one of) my biggest challenge (for now) is trusting the traction :chairfall: .....

Kind regards from Finland,

Tapani

PS To ease out the hobbies we (the wife and me) have a deal that if a new motor vehicle appears in the garage a new pet may follow. So, naturally, after "Gunilla" the EM57 arrived a new blue heeler puppy "Jussi" also moved his gear to our house. Just 8 weeks old. A fleet of 5 bikes and 4 cars equals to 3 dogs, 2 cats and 1 turtle... hmmm... 3 missing ... I guess I have to keep quiet on this one  :shutup:

• Like 1