Hello, Newbie From Kendal/penrith Area

uksg85

Hi,

I'm going to give in to my back of mind gremlins and go out an get my first bike, trials of course. As I live a very remote part of the country I'm hoping that I can find some secret sweet spots that's the locals use/allow me to practice on. I have no kit or bike yet (or garage yet but that's being sorted) so soon il be out dabbing every rock and root in Cumbria.

If there are any other riders who wish to share their breadth of knowledge id be more than happy to take advice and buy a beer.

Scott

Hi,

My advice after starting again last year at 61 yrs. old,  after 43 off the trials bike, is don't worry about practice. Just go for it, there are rides in the north almost every week with an hours travel.  Next Cumbria ride, Round 2, is on Easter Saturday, the easy course at the last one, 21st Feb, was perfect for beginners and old uns.

Hardly remote with the M6 motorway running virtually between the towns you name. Probably about the easiest place in the world to find a trial, some weekends a choice of 2 or even 3

Do take time to find practice areas that its OK to use, being surrounded by National park littered with SSSIs its easy to upset some people.

Edited by dadof2

If you are just starting on a bike for the first time I would suggest putting many hours on the bike before looking for rocks and trees.

Obviously rocks and trees are more fun and more challenging.

But confidence and basic control are really important, and familiarity with your bike too.

Put hours on the bike on your drive, if possible.

Get used to your clutch, its roll point, its bite point.

Get a feel for your brakes, how grabby they are etc.

Get used to balancing the clutch and brakes.

Riding around in progressively tighter circles as you get better is great for balancing clutch and brake.

You can also get comfortable leaning your bike over left and right as you turn, leaning backwards, putting your bum on the rear mudguard,

leaning forwards over the handle bars.

ALL of this will help you tremendously once you get to the rocks and trees.

Hope you get sorted soon, you'll love it.

Hi Scott,

I'm not that far ahead of you in the trials game, started in January.

I'm up near Caldbeck and know of a couple of places to practice, and by God do you need to practice!!

The last trial at Aughertree was my first one and after initially feeling a bit lost, I got cracking to a few lads and lasses and it was much better.

The weather was bloody awful though!

The next trial is next weekend then again on 3rd April near Plumpton.

If you need a riding buddy with similar experience give me a shout, I'll show you what I know.

Cheers

Graeme

thanks Arthritic, Dadof2, trial bike and Strugglinon. 

Il take that advice on board and when the 'fort knox' arrives/gets built all I have left to buy is a bike and il be out.  I have no drive and the gardens just big enough to swing my cat in (tried and tested) so any practice would have to be on private land, £10 through landowners letterbox etc.

Graeme, il get in touch once I have the bike,  something that I'm struggling to make a decision on if I'm honest but I think at this stage, any bike will do. 

I went for a walk today and found a trial being held at Roundthwaite by the lakes grass tracks club, wife came along and was impressed how it was run, not too dissimilar from a mtb dh race which she's marshalled many times before.   

can't wait to get stuck in.  cheers 

Hi UKsg85,

I'd say don't be to fussed about what bike you buy.

I bought an 02 Sherco 290. Engine had been rebuilt but the running gear was a bit tatty, it's taken me a while to tidy it up, tyres, seals, plastics etc.

Cheap isn't always best, buy on condition, not looks.

We've a trial on on Sunday near Plumpton. Come along and say hello.

Graeme.