Showa Front Fork Oil Change On 4Rt

sherpated

A quick simple question fro a first time 4stroke owner. I have just aquired a 2006 Repsol 4rt and having loads of fun. I would ,however like to liven the front suspension up a bit. I have already screwed the rebound right out on the front fork (s), but still feel it could be more responsive. I suspect the previous owner has used a heavy oil in them.? Do I need to take the front forks off to change the oil, or is there a drain plug in the bottom?

When I did it on my 07 4RT I pulled the forks and drained them upside down, then I used Red Line ExtraLight 2.5wt Suspension Fluid.  I also had my rear done with the same 2.5 at the same time and love it.  They have a like water version but I suspect that would be a bit to thin as the default oil is 5wt...

Red Line: http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=26&pcid=18

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks Jonnyc21 .Sounds like 2,5 is a good option. I tried a friends 300 rr yesterday, by comparison and it was amazing. I probably wont be able to get the front as good on mine, but maybe the oil will help.

I hoped it would be a lot easier with a drain plug ,like on most classic forks, but no problem...

Do you know if the the springs are a good idea to replace too, or do they last 'forever'?

Springs will not last forever, however I would start with the oil change and then check your sag. If you can't get the sag correct then you might need to replace the springs. Though I would guess your springs are probably fine.

Just a note: if the sag is close but on the slightly softer side your probably ok, if it is way off then you might consider new springs.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, Redline .I ordered some from the local dealer, who wasnt so reliable. It turned out it was on back order and it would take weeks, so I cancelled. I ended up using Putoline fork oil 2.5 weight. I was suprised on how 'watery' it was and guessed it must be pretty close to the Redline. I've been out a few times now and must admit that it has really helped. Im not so sure about the oil that was in there ,but i a little supiscious that it was 10 weight.It was very black when I poured it out too. it was lacking 100ml too in the right leg. I'm still having fun playing with settings ,but overall a big improvement. I have set the sag up on the back too.This was also in need of adjustment. It now feels more alive and getting the rear up in the air is a lot easier now. Thanks for asking Jonny

Edited by sherpated

Glad you like it and where able to get a suitable oil.

FYI: I found during winter I ride with rebound and compression near the middle and summer I turn it in about 2 to 4 clicks depending on temp and find it works great for me.