Back After A (Very) Long Break!

ralpher

Hi all, been exclusively riding road bikes since mid 80s but new baby forces self preservation (sort of). I was toying with buying a new Harley - yes I know, they don't handle, they're slow and they don't stop etc... all of these things are true, which is my point, you live longer on a Harley! However, after trudging around most of the Harley dealers in the south of England, my wife asked me whether I would actually ride this one, or would I scan the horizon for anything resembling a cloud before I would wheel it out of the garage.

Damn her for her insight! After a long serious think I decided she was right (as usual). My VTR1000 SP1 sat in the garage for a year after my back injury prevented me from taking it out, I found it impossible to turn around to see behind me without moving my whole arm in the same direction. Please don't suggest mirrors, the darn thing vibrated like something from an Ann Summers Hen party, rendering mirrors useless, if not dangerous (dangerous by way of rendering you befuddled while trying to figure out whether that was a police car behind or a herd of blow-up sheep escaped from the previously mentioned party-ware shop). Anyway, I digress, the whole point of the soul searching excercise was to A) buy yet another bike - hopefully one which I enjoy riding enough to take it out. B) Buy something which didn't insist that you should be breaking the national speed limit before accepting top gear. C) Not require all weekend cleaning it, just to have a couple of hours of riding (then clean the darn thing again before putting it to bed!)

Well I'm not exactly sure where the seed of the idea came from but after chatting to a few friends and many long hours of gazing into the computer monitor at riders doing crazy things on dirt bikes, the idea appeared before me in black and white. As a young man in my early teens I learned to ride bikes in the woods not far from my home. After this I went on to buying my own trials bikes... ah those were the days... anyway, TY Yamahas, KT250 Kawasaki (anyone remember them?) then Maico motocross bikes etc.

Well that was a long time ago as I have said, but this idea to buy something which was fun, didn't need constant cleaning, wasn't going to cost me my driving license or throw me under a lorry at supersonic speeds was now perfectly formed in my head.

Hello is that F£%@&rs Motorcycles? Yes, good, I would like to buy a KTM EXC-F 250 Six Days please. A week later I had hired a van, driven to the dealers and picked up my new bike, in the van it went along with lots of extra must haves, tyre mooses, wrap around hand guards etc. Got the bike home and got it ready for the first ride (1 hour to break the engine in ready for it's first service, I kid you not). What's this got to do with trials I hear you asking? Nothing at all is the answer.

Well, having "saved" 10K from NOT buying a Harley and settling for a KTM, I figured that it would be sensible to buy a trials bike - after all, nearly all the best riders ride trials (sadly I'm not one of them but we all improve with practice!) After another internet searching session, I decided that the Montesa Cota 4RT was the way to go - no messy two-stroke oil to faff about with and a wonderfully reliable Honda engine. So, that's the story to date, loving the 4RT and riding the KTM when I can get some company!

• Like 4

Thanks guys, I was worried I would bore the Cr@p out of people or come accross as a smug a$$! I even asked the Mrs who assured me that both was the probable answer! Look forward to learning a lot from more knowledgeable folks on here.

Edited by ralpher
  • Like 1