Stripping Down A 2002 Pro 250 Engine

gasgas

Yesterday i took the bike out for a trainings-practice at the club in Apeldoorn. Two and a half hour trainings session didn't reveal any mistakes in the engine department, lucky me :rolleyes: My main concern each time is to get the clutch working again as she should. Bleeding the line is always a trouble but since i am using a syringe of 50ml i back bleed the whole system from the slavepiston up to the masterpiston. That seems to help a lot as the air bubbles rise up with the flow of the brakefluid pumped upwards. But nevertheless there are always airpockets that won't go easily out. Pumping the lever and tapping the system always create some air bubbles escaping from the flowhole in the masterpump.

Tonight i will losen the header exhaust pipe and have a look at the piston and rings to see if there are any weird signs telling me something is wrong afterall, but i don't expect them to be seen as i feel everything is working oke.

I am glad that the gearshifting is now up to par, and that i did wise to put an extra washer between the drum and the gearshaft to lift it 0,5mm up. That seem to do the trick. Looking at the exploded view of the engine they did not put in that washer and that explained maybe the bad shifting from 3rd to 2nd.

So you see also in spain they are only human.

I found it nice to open up this little engine and hope that every body who read this topic found likewise.

Ciao george

Hi all,

well a running time of 2 almost 3 hours on Sunday really loosened things up in the egine department. The tightness is all gone now and when you grab the flywheel it just turns easy as it shld. Beforehand you could feel the drag against the seals etc but now ;) .

Looking via the exhaust opening into the cilinder didn't show signs of trouble. Cilinder is showing some nicely crosshatch marks of the honing and pistonrings are still moving in their grooves. Not that i expected otherwise but it is nice to be sure.

I am now concentrating on the mid-muffler as i found it carbonized like crazy.

Cleaning this baby is asking for some rather rigorius action. I have to open it up tru the side and trying to clean it that way. Stupid that they did weld this thing up like they did. It is not servicable in a normal way.

Keep you all posted.

Meanwhile i have to work on my endurance and in combination with this "new" engine shld send me up to the club podium next club event :beer:

If you look at the entrance of the carb you can see that i beveled the edges. Normally there is a lot of material sitting here, unnessary in my opinion. By removing it you create more entrance area for the inlet to flow. It is easy money. Inlet trajects shld be as straight as possible without any ledges, ridges etc.

dscf1152k3os.jpg

Here you look into the inlet manifold. I dremeled away some material, which show as blankish. This material was actually in the way of the inlet traject. Again by removing it and smoothing things out, you create better flow, which is crucial for pickup response.

dscf1155k1ld.jpg

Luckily i pressure checked the engine before putting it back into the frame, and yes there was a tiny leak around one of the bolts, but not to worry about. The inner pressure test is higher psi than the engine psi when running.