Trials Bike Design

Once over  someone in the market for a new bike could go along to the local dealer and check out the bikes, if trials bikes were on show, the basic shape still looked like a regular motorcycle.

Even if the punter thought he may give trials a try but wasn't that interested in the sport, he could still have a useful trail machine for casual riding.

Now the bikes are so small and compact with no fuel range or possibility of sitting down on trails the only person interested is the trials rider, I have heard many times people ask can I get a seat and bigger tank for it.

This picture of the Scorpa long ride shows you can have a full blown trials bike with larger capacity tank and a seat, without loosing any of the technology, this could attract more buyers, it did in the past and even got people into trials, once they found out what the bike could do and how much fun it was.

Why don't more of the companies offer this feature ? I don't mean a duel purpose bike,but a full blown trials iron with a decent tank and seat.

I totally agree BTW and have been writing (digitally and on paper) and saying this for years. At last folk are waking up. I call it extreme trail riding with a trials bias. My kind of ride involves 3 by three thousand foot mountains and about 100 miles for a days ride. I have to ride on my own as few share my view. In fact it was why I started the RIDES list some ten years ago when Dicko didn't even know what the net was and a few years prior I could count the number of motorcycle sites on one hand. I remember my (now learned) mate Ian J starting Trials Action and asking if it was worth registering trials.co.uk and how to do that and no one wanting to talk four strokes:( They were right up their own 2T a**es....but TA was the original and best trials site.

Well life comes round (I'm here now!)in circles, so now we have orrid new land laws - when are we all going to ride low weight, low foot print, quiet small four strokes with a seat, a tank and trials bias? No radial tyres either. Not that I'm in a mood to advertise Pirelli MT43s...but that is another story.

PS that 250 4T Scorpa is gonna be about 4.5K so I'd suggest more of the 175 long rides but ideally they ought to have the TTR250 air cooled low tech motor with that all important sixth gear. We need a low first and an overdrive top as it were. Welcome to eco extreme trail riding folks. It's a rock hopping balanced world you know.....

They made the bike you are looking for 20 years ago. One man's view... John R TLR250R-G

Interesting topic.  The Beamish I've just bought has a registration document but the bike has a "Q" plate.  It has never been "on the road" as such.  Apparently this is because despite the bike being built as a 78 model the engine number cannot be relied upon (I am told) to date the bike.  Ofcourse, the dymo tape frame number has fallen off.

I hope to track down an "expert" acceptable to the DVLA in order to get an age related plate.  Any suggestions on doing this?

On a related note-  The bike has no lights, rear reflector, horn or speedo.  Can it be put on the road with an MOT and Tax?  Or is a 78 bike Tax exempt?

Thanks for the help.

Get in touch with an Andy Foulkes. He worked for Beamish and I think now works for Suzuki in the quad section. Or at least someone will know him. He'll date the bike. The early ones were Orange, then there was the yellow with rear frame loop and then the straight frame to rear mudguard one. There was also a red and black one 250. PS my brother is flogging his hardly used Beamish 250, for about 600 quid. He's getting a long ride Scorpa I think. I had 3 Beamishs inc a 325. Great fun. Not my cup of tea these days though. 4T man..

http://John.Rushworth.com

This is such a good point. I live in the mountains of idaho and the best terrian will involve riding: i mean serious 3500ft climbs to get there.

For my new GG 300 pro, lewissport has a picture of a tank and seat which they believe are available in france and are trying to get:

http://www.lewisportusa.com/gas_tanks.htm

anyone seen this setup and know the source of manufacture?

The 4t Scorpa looks to be just the ticket if the seat were a bit thicker and longer, Then even Ishy could get the old knees to straighten out again!

I agree as well that it should be done!

Wish I had a piccy of the "wee" seat on the wifes Sherco, as it extends the load bearing area of the rear mudguard several inches, just enough to put your a*** without collapseing the thing and does not get in the way when riding feet up. when sitting on top of the mudguard, your knees are not bent too deeply to stand up. She really likes it! :D