"the Art Of The Motorcycle"

brian r

It was pretty good. You couldn't go into it looking for your favorites though.

Had to keep in mind the "art" side of it. I was surprised to see a Gas Gas TXT in there.

I really hoped the would have had the in line 4 Indian.

No CZ's Jawa's Benelli's.

I thought it was great. I saw it in Las Vegas a few years ago. Interesting how the exhibit pairs up motorcycle development with social/technological change--aside from the effort to put together the basic content (the motorcycles) of the exhibit, some serious work went into that.

Essentially, the display is broken up into periods; the birth of the motorcycle, post-WW1, WW2, the Japanese invasion; bikes of specific types (high-performance street bikes, off-road bikes), and examples are on display which typify the period or crossed some sort of threshold, or offer up some sort of novelty. In many of the display areas, especially when the display is chronological, there's also a wall with an A-to-Z list of events, people, movies, products, sayings, etc. Some rooms offer up a movie; I think there was some audio, too. Each motorcycle on display has a description of its history as well as some basic specifications.

I think it was pretty cool. Bike I'd like to see in it would be one of the DKW 125 GS's from the early 70's with the Girling front end. I think that's what it was.

Mike

It was pretty good. You couldn't go into it looking for your favorites though.

Had to keep in mind the "art" side of it. I was surprised to see a Gas Gas TXT in there.

I really hoped the would have had the in line 4 Indian.

No CZ's Jawa's Benelli's.

I thought there were some glaring omissions...like an Indian 4 and a '36-'57 Harley.

Great book, though.

It was rare to get to see some of the European stuff I'd never seen...although I have seen a Megola running!

I want a Dollar!!

Caught it at the Guggenheim in Manhattan when it opened. Loved it, just terrific. Had Sammy Miller's original Sherpa-T, Dougie's '96 Beta (front wheel up on a large paper mache "rock"), and I think a '94 GG. The unending spiral of that building was perfect for an unbroken line of display for all the wonderful, odd and historically important bikes. Well worth it, as was the book.