Honda Rs200T Carb & Ignition Set Up

archie01

I've just got a low mileage RS200T from Japan. It hadn't run in years. It's very original and has had little use. It's fitted with a 22mm Keihin carb which is marked PC UG7.

- I've fitted a NGK D6ES plug, gapped at 26 thou

- Set both valves at 2.5 thou (it was In 2 thou and Ex 5 thou).

- Checked the ignition timing, was spot on.

- Checked the centrifal advance which is free and working fine

- Fitted a new carb float and set it at 21mm

- I've stripped and cleaned the carb, soaking it in carb cleaner and blow it out several times, it's clean as a whistle

The carb was fitted with a 38 pilot jet and 105 main. The needle was set on the second groove (from the top) and the air screw was set at 1 turn. I put the carb back together with the settings as I got it, and it ran very rich. It would start from cold with no choke and the plug was really sooty.

With the existing needle and jets, I've found it runs best with the needle clip on No. 1 groove (leanest), and the air screw somewhere between 1.25 and 1.5 turns. I've done a plug chop from max revs under load and the plug looks fine. It's still a bit sooty at low revs when ploking about but any weaker and it seems to run quite hot.

It's quite torquey off the bottom (no sign of any Honda cough), but there is a bit of a flat spot about a quarter way up the revs and it is generally feels a bit flat and lifeless as you rev it. If I hadn't checked the ignition advance I would have said it felt retarded.

Have any of you guys any experience with setting up one of these bikes?

Edited by archie01

• 4 years later...

• 10 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

My RS200 is very sensible to the air adjusting screw position, I have fitted Takeawa air and idle screws to adjust them by hand during the day, I had to learn how to adjust the air screw correctly, now that i'm fully trained, the bike runs like a dream. 

I fitted new jets as the carb was gummy inside and played with different sizes, 105 and 38 where the best. 

Needle best position is 3erd (middle) 

I would never have imagined the air screw setting to be that relevant. 

2 hours ago, Antonio said:

My RS200 is very sensible to the air adjusting screw position, I have fitted Takeawa air and idle screws to adjust them by hand during the day, I had to learn how to adjust the air screw correctly, now that i'm fully trained, the bike runs like a dream. 

I fitted new jets as the carb was gummy inside and played with different sizes, 105 and 38 where the best. 

Needle best position is 3erd (middle) 

I would never have imagined the air screw setting to be that relevant. 

03-03-0020.jpg.3cd751d5c91dfa8e44bbbf4b8f6b85bc.jpg