The Best Possible Championship?

city trials

NATC Press Release 7-27-05

The NATC is excited about the formation of the USMTA and pledges to work closely to clarify roles with the AMA, to foster the best national championship trials series possible

The press release looked good on paper, the website looks pretty but... What happened?

No change on motorcycle cc size for our youth. Only eight rounds. On and on... You all have read the comments in the other threads.

All that money spent to send these reps out to the NATC meeting and this is what we got in return? Something is seriously not working right. How much did this cost the NATC coffers?

As a fan I feel I got jipped by our leaders again. As a minder/sponsor to one of the few pro teams on the circuit, I'm embarrassed this is the best the NATC can do.

Edited by City Trials

Not to be the total sourpuss, On a bright note, those who did offer to host a national, a big thank you.

In a perfect world we could have a series like Motocross. Events would be at the same location at the same time of every year, so riders know exactly when and where the events are for planning. Have the events equally spaced by region for travel. Offer money to the pros. You get the picture.

Dan Brown earns the biggest respect by offering a daring new event and for keeping the Youth National a must attend event. Any chance you care to host a year end national event too?

Edited by City Trials

On the topic of the 125cc class.

Isn't it better to have the option than be restricted ?

If my lad was wanting to compete in Europe, or the world championship 125 class I would make sure that the bike he would be riding in all competition and practice was a 125.

Do other youth riders in the national championship have an unfair advantage because they are riding larger capacity machines than little Johnny, on the type of section the support line offers, I don't think so.

If the top 125 riders in the world rode the US champ class, how would they do ?

To a certain point, is it an advantage to ride a larger cc bike ?

Some parents can't afford to go out and buy a 125, so little Johnny has to ride dad's old 250 or nothing, do we take that away from those who can't afford to ?

Does the NATC add a youth 125 class and youth over 125 class etc

Who will take care of checking that the machines are in fact 125 ? hard enough to get observers and events without adding even more requirements.

Just some thoughts :ph34r:

I wondered why this organization was formed. I thought the NATC could solve its own problems, but apparently not. lol

I have a feeling that this year may feel short and unfullfilling, but next year we can hopefully have more events etc...

Why do people want the youths or youts on 125s?

Develop throttle control is one thing I heard. But if you ride a bigger bike from the start you will be accustomed to it... right? :ph34r:

Edited by Dman

I have a feeling that this year may feel short and unfullfilling, but next year we can hopefully have more events etc...

That was my thought too. This kind of thing takes time and dedication to nurture. It's not something that's going to fall into place in a year or less.

-- Regards,

Bentley Wolfe

Senior Escalation Engineer, Flash

Macromedia

Vice President and Webmaster:

http://www.widualsportriders.org/

http://www.madisonmotorcycleclub.org/

http://www.wisconsintrials.org/

I think some are unaware of what the NATC is!! and what role they play in US trials.

Basically it's made up of you and I, club folk who have in the past put nationals on or look to do in the future, all volunteer work.

The whole committee on one weekend a year will listen to any proposal that pertains to the national championship, and then discuss the proposal, it's not voted on, a consensus of all there make the decision if the proposal is worth putting in to being, a blurb on a website or a poorly presented plan isn't going to get past the discussion stage, it both has to be well thought out and presented, things like how will it affect the series and is there a significant enough riders to make it worth while.

As for the lack of events, only people to blame is ourselves, the clubs are the ones we dictate how many events there will be and when, at the NATC meeting those events are then put in the best order to work for all.

If I wanted to put a trial in May in Oregon, and southern Cal, wanted to do one in June, they would try and get us on closer weekends so the travel plans only

need to be made once.

If you want more events at times that best suit you, the only way is to step

up!!

The topic I started about the series is to try and find why clubs are not volunteering to host events, first you have to identify the problem before you can work on the solution, the band aid only leads to more problems.

If manpower on the day is the problem, should the two day weekend be split between champ and support, it's been tried before, can it be improved.

Clubs need to say why, my reason is I can't do it by myself, that is just the point our club is at this time, I'm still active in the club and the next trial I put on in two weeks time will be the sixth of this year, and I don't/can't take on anything else at this time.

Like Bentley says, a strong club is the first order of business before burning out the few you have on one weekend.

I agree that it is bullcrap that the people over there, even have the silly rule about age = cc, instead of weight. & 16 needs to be maximum age for 125 restrictions IMHO. But as a society of American trials riders, lets not forever more be so dang pessimistic, sheesh :ph34r:

Things have to change sometime, why wait any longer? IMHO, you cant say the 125 thing will kill off trials for kids & families. IMHO it wont affect 98% of us, right off and in a couple years there will be more 125's around. That is as long as we dont try to push that rule into club level right off, eventually I think it will set itself, when more bikes are around. Those who are competitive will get 125's to prepare for nationals, the rest of us "recreational" trials riders will ride what we find as we always have.

SO!! I say, lets start the transition asap! in a few years if/when more bikes get into the USA there will be just that, more bikes. The rest of you nay-sayers, You'll just have to think outside the box and trust that it is just gonna be like the debate about the Chicken or egg?

BTW the decision really wont effect most riders I do NOT think, (leaving myslef room to be wrong)... because look at what the kids are riding now, how many "competitive" young up and comming riders in the USA arent on 80's or 125's???

Edited by Sting32

I agree that it is bullcrap that the people over there, even have the silly rule about age = cc, instead of weight.  & 16 needs to be maximum age for 125 restrictions IMHO. But as a society of American trials riders, lets not forever more be so dang pessimistic, sheesh  :D 

Things have to change sometime, why wait any longer?  IMHO, you cant say the 125 thing will kill off trials for kids & families.  IMHO it wont affect 98% of us, right off and in a couple years there will be more 125's around. That is as long as we dont try to push that rule into club level right off, eventually I think it will set itself, when more bikes are around.  Those who are competitive will get 125's to prepare for nationals, the rest of us "recreational" trials riders will ride what we find as we always have.

SO!!  I say, lets start the transition asap!  in a few years if/when more bikes get into the USA there will be just that, more bikes.  The rest of you nay-sayers, You'll just have to think outside the box and trust that it is just gonna be like the debate about the Chicken or egg?

BTW the decision really wont effect most riders I do NOT think, (leaving myslef

room to be wrong)...  because look at what the kids are riding now, how many "competitive" young up and comming riders in the USA arent on 80's or

125's???

Sorry Sting. I can't make sense of this, you say it's all bull, then you say lets start the transition asap :ph34r:

If a proposal for a 125cc class was put forward at the last NATC meeting and didn't become a change for 06, there must be a reason why, who who made the proposal, and why didn't it get passed ?

Dman:

Sorry if this post ends up being a duplicate of some sorts. I did try replying earlier and somehow my computer messed it up!

The major reason why it is important for our young rider's to compete on 125's now comes down to one basic reason, technique!!!! Sure, sometimes it makes it easier to have that extra power,but, I watch what these guys are riding i the WTC on these 125's, and it is more difficult than most of us ride all the time!It is possible to ride diffucult sections on a 125. In order to learn the proper skills to compete at a high level, whether that be at the Nationals OR the WTC.

My son has just turned 9. I have vowed that he will not ride a bike larger than a 125 until he is old enough by WTC standards! I hope that this helps you understand why some of us are understanding of a 125 rule! How old are you? Would a ruling like this affect you??

cheers, Steve

As a fan I feel I got jipped by our leaders again. As a minder/sponsor to one of the few pro teams on the circuit, I'm embarrassed this is the best the NATC can do.

This year you felt jipped because your man was not allowed to ride the world round, the FIM ruleing states a minimum age

[quote name=dbrown

U.S. World Round May 20 & 21' date=' Sequatchie, TN

US Expert class to ride line for Youth World Championship

US Pro class to ride World Championship line]

Now if I understand it right, in 06 your man will be able to compete at the 06 world round in the same sections youth on a 125 or full size machine if he rides the expert class, and the full blown meal deal if he rides pro.

If the NATC had made a 125 junior class ruleing same as the FIM, would this not mean he would be still to young to compete.

Hey DMAN

If you are who I think you are ...RI cried because Vermont was doing Nationals and they (RI ) couldn't do any more so last year Vt decided and TOLD RITC that they could do one in 06 and vt and RI could aternate after that .. HMM RITC had the perfect chance to pair with NY and set a 10 round series... Well no body stepped up ... Not enough events .. Stop Crying and step up.. Ps If your technique was better you could ride a 125 and be a better rider..instead of using 280 power to get you through!

Ya, RITC man. Hey Ron. Its Dan ;)

I won't speak for ritc. It was the decision of the club and I won't try to explain it.

Like I said, next year will be better...

@I get 125s now. thanks for the info everyone

edit: sitting with these ideas I start to see the sense in them. And I'm kinda thinking to myself, "stupid" for posting in emotion before. :D

Edited by Dman

• 2 weeks later...

I need more English classes Ishy...

Ok I said in a sense, that I feel your pain, as an american about the what seems like BS rules.

BUUUUUTTT!!! Then again as an American can we just go back to the rules becuase as Americans we did better as a nation, at world trials scene back when there was NO STOPPING allowed at all in a section? No.

The rules are controled by them trials governing body over there, not here, right? SO since we're trying to compete technically worldwide, should we not have nationals here in the usa reflect the world competition?

that is the chicken or egg thing, becuase it would take a while before 125cc bikes get more abundance, and clubs to adapt (technically not have to adapt in most cases AFAIK) the kids and parents would just get a 125 to compete on even in whatever class at home, right? I have yet been to a trials were the Expert class rider "HAD TO HAVE A 280 versus a 125cc bike to be just as good. I fthe kids are better than that, what difference will it make? if they are going to compete at the nationals, right?