How Quick!

trial_master

One of my fork seals burst just under a month ago, so i took it to DMS Trialsport tho have them both replaced. Both have now gone at the same time, not even a month after getting then sorted. I know i cannot get my money back, frankly im not bothered. But my question is, Will it be any detrement to the bike riding with very little (and still leaking) oil in the forks. I know its harder/different riding, but is it going to do a lot of damage to the forks. Im an amature rider and the biggest landing the front wheel has is from a wheelie. Not exactly 6' drop offs, but are hard'ish landings going to wreck the seals on a bike this light!

If i do need to sort them i will be having a go myself (cannot do any worse than the shop!) I know to use RYP's website for the how to. But does anyone have anyother usefull tips to help me on my way?

thanks in advance

Ryan

Make certain that it is your fork seals leaking and not the small blue plastic caps in the tops of the forks and they are bleeding oil down the tubes and appears that the seals are leaking.

Get an old piece of 35 mm film and use it as a scraper / wiper and wipe out any trash, pop up your dust boots first, rinse out with copious amounts of your favorite weasel stuff, then slide the negative around to clean the seal area. Take the forks off and do an oil change through the top caps and make sure it is rinsed well.

Triple check those little blue caps and o-rings.

To answer the question about riding it with oil leaking, if it goes bang (noise and jarring felt through the grips) on landing, you are doing damage to the fork internals. Also if it is low on oil it will probably also go bang as the front comes off the ground.

If you don't get a bang, you have not lost enough oil to make a difference yet.

Thanks for the replys. The blue caps are bone dry on the outside (i have never removed them so dunno about the inside) It is deffinatly the seals. When i push down on the bars you can see the oil gushing out!

The chrome shafts are in v.good condition although a bit mucky. Il clean them as Alan suggested.

But other than that i think i will just run it as it is, untill it starts clunking, then have a go at the seals.

Just thinking back, i was told to clean my forks with WD40, to get all of the dirt out from under the dust covers. I have recently been told that WD40 could damage the seals, is this true?

Thanks

Ryan

I don't like WD40 for anything, there are lots of water dispersing formulas that are more lubricating and better protecting - my opinion.

Most are cheaper too.

The biggest problem with leaking fork seals is that the oil tends to get on the brake disk.

I'd strongly suggest cleaning the seal using film negative before replacing it. Pressure washers force dirt down there better than anything, but dried mud on the forks being carried through the seal comes a close second

I have fitted neoprene boots to the forks of my last 4 bikes and have not had a problem since, they can't be recommended highly enough. I do know one guy who went to a motor factors and got a pair of steering rack boots for a Sierra and used those instead, not as smart but probably good for 50,000 miles!