Cleaning Plastic Tank

marky g

Hi Jeff,

as you say the rear mount is fine, just removed the thick rubber pad that goes under the plastic tank, I used a shallow domeheaded allen bolt with a large washer (to spread the contact area) I found if you used a normal 10mm hex bolt the seat would not fit on properly.

As for the front mountings I just got some of the larger dia foam pipe lagging and cut a 3inch section out, place this over the top frame tube and trimmed it until the tank was a snug fit with no side to side movement and make sure you have enough clearance for the top yoke when on full lock, then zip tie the foam in place...I put mine just behind the coil.

If you wanted to do a pukka job you would need to buy the OE Yamaha tank rubbers and drill and tap the frame in the correct place and then bolt the rubbers to the frame.....the pipe lagging works fine for me :hat: hope this helps

post-185-1136149500.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi all with plastic tanks. I have just started to develop a hard cover (plastic)to go over a TY 250 tank. The prototype was made today and it fits a treat. Just trying to find a way to make it in one piece. Will keep you posted. ;) THESE ARE SOME PICS OF THE PROTOTYPE.

Edited by madproffesor

madproffesor, any cahnce of a pic ? I'm sure you will have lots of interest.

I could not find anywhere that still does the old fabric tank covers for my old mono tank not would it come clean either.....in the end I bought a new tank ;)

Well, it looks ULTRA CLEAN! :P My plastics on my bike were all a little yellowish, so I just cleaned them with a scrub brush in the sink with soap (I used fast orange for your hands). Although I'm sure it wasn't as bad as your tank if bleach wouldn't even take it off. ;) Your new tank really finishes off the bike though, money well spent in the end! (Though it's easy for someone to say that when they didn't have to pay for it!) :blink:

Edited by Jackman

I'll post a pic soon. Currently its in three pieces, yellow sides and white top. It's a simple push over cover to hide the grotty tank underneath. Hopefully when i get a thicker plastic i'll be able to do it in one piece. Cost would be about fifteen pounds depending on materials really.