Rl250 lighting stator?

redbug2

Hello, 

Im restoring a silver engine rl250 for me brother in law. It's a silver engine 74? He bought a lighting kit for it but the kit did not have a stator.

Will a ts250 stator winding work with the rl250? How about coils to run the cdi? Are those the same as the ts250?

regards,

redbug2

Edited by redbug2

If memory serves me correctly the RL has the lighting coils already in (unless someone has taken them out to reduce weight). They are easily told apart from the CDI coil as you can see the copper windings.  You will need a zenor diode to limit the current otherwise it will be constantly be blowing bulbs.

Based on the limited sample on eBay the rl250 stator from England have both. The us model has one. The ts250 has two and stator light winding seems to be slightly larger than English rl' s but I think it will work. Ts250 windings are also cheaper in us and I don't have to ship them over the pond. 

Would love to get confirmation that someone has done the job wirh ts250 winding. 

Agreed, some kind of rectifier will be in the mix.

Regards,

Redbug2 

• 11 months later...

It's been a while but I have finally got the RL250 running again. I have the TS250 winding plate in the RL250. I had to mill out new adjusting slots about 60 degrees forward for the TS250 windings.

The lighting winding would not fit on the RL250 mounting plate which is why I ended up using the TS250 mounting plate.

The ignition winding did not work from the TS250 so I had to put in the original RL250 windings. It could have been that the TS250 ignition wires were bad or they were just different? The ignition winding mounts from the RL and TS were the same.  

I purchased a rectifier for a TS250. Started it up and lights worked great from idle. Revved it up and  burnt out the bulbs.

I have since read this post an others and it seems as though I will need the zenor diode setup.

Does anyone know the type and value of the zenor diode I would need and where I would wire it in?

In the mean time I have found an LED headlight bulb that may do the trick. It's voltage range is 6v to 14v. That may work. Perhaps I just put a 12 volt in the taillight. Might be dim but it might be good enough? .