Plastic tank crack repair

Sparta

Hello, finally got my first bike scorpa sy250 long ride, but after filling full tank realized that it has a crack. It is at very top where tank overlaps the frame, about 2cm. was googling ways of fixing this and found that plastic melting / welding is weakening the tank and best way is to use proper repair kit.. So after research for repair kits I am lost:D almost every repair kit has some bad reviews- didn't work / came off after 15 min etc.. 

Wondering if someone here is familiar with these plastic tank repair kits and would recommend me a decent one?

Also, because of location of that hole is where tank is lying against metal frame, thinking of making some padding of silicone or something, so it's softer..

Thanks  

Edited by Sparta

Added couple pictures, duck taped it at the moment. Crack starts on that bend where tank sits on frame.. Aluminum solution is too difficult for me I think:(

Any other suggestions how to fix it easier?:)

Edit: just found a guy who does plastic welding

2222222.jpg

1111111111.jpg

Edited by Sparta

Identify the type of plastic used for your tank, usually a manufacturers mark and then a series of letters I.e. HDPE etc. Task one find some plastic of the same identification. Obtain a good soldering iron and some degreaser fluid such as brake cleaner. Remove tank, drain fuel completely. Clean out crack area with sharp tool such as a scriber. Use wet and dry paper on the surface area to be repaired. Clean with brake cleaner. Cut strips of plastic from sourced supply about 3-4 mm wide and have a few practice runs with the solder iron heating both the plastic and strip pretty much like welding metal. When you feel confident try the tank. It’s not that hard if you prep everything and get a feel for the method. If you can do this in a well ventilated area don’t breathe in the fumes, plastic welding while holding your breath is no good either. Good luck it’s cheaper than a new tank or paying someone else. Method works fine for me and you can make the repair good and strong by laying up more plastic?By the way petrol will boil before it burns it needs an external spark to initiate burning so your solder iron will not start a fire unless you are careless.

• Like 1