'75 TY 175 restoration questions

fxstbi

Greetings, I am starting the restoration on my bike and I would like to do some modifications. I have a complete TY250 front end that I would like to use, is there anything I need to do or modify? I appears that it will fit easily. I also plan on putting new shocks on it. I'm leaving the mounts stock so can you give me a recommendation for shock length and spring weight for use with the 250 forks? (I weigh 205 with my gear on) I'll be posting pictures of the build as it progresses. Thanks in advance.

IMG_4340.JPG

IMG_4384.JPG

• Like 1

If you're modding it, I heartily recommend getting some of the modern yokes, Magicals internals for your 250 forks, and matching them with Rock Shocks at the back.  New shocks with stock ~40 year old front springs makes for crappy handling.

Stock length is 340mm for the back shocks, no idea on the spring rate but if you order Rock Shocks they work out the springs and valving to suit your weight anyways ;)

Good luck!

• Like 1

TY250 forks are about 20mm shorter overall than TY175 forks. Standard setting with TY175 forks is about 20mm protruding through the top clamp, so if you run TY250 forks flush with the top clamp, the height of the front end will end up close to standard.

A TY250 front end will fit without modification. The fork tubes, being bigger diameter, end up a bit closer to the fuel tank.

Some people use 340mm shocks and some use 360mm shocks. If 360mm shocks are used, the bike usually has the TY175 forks set flush with the top clamp. With TY250 forks you won't be able to lift the front any higher than standard. In my opinion, lifting the bike makes it handle worse and with such a short wheelbase is unnecessary.

If you are using TY250 forks, then I recommend using 340mm shocks. If you are buying Falcon shocks, choose 40 pounds/inch springs.

I run TY250 forks in a TY175 with standard springs, standard damper rods and standard preload and 5WT oil with the oil height set to provide just the right overall spring rate.

• Like 4