Where's The Freakin Seats Gone?

fivemeister

After a bit of time out, Im just getting back into trials. Im considering a new bike, but hesitate cos they aint got bleedin seats and only have tiddly tanks FFS!

How on earth do you guys do road trials now?? How the ferk do they compete in something like the scottish????

Unless you convince me otherwise, might have to just settle for the twinshock...

its a problem i know as i have had my fare share of knee problems (AND IM ONLY 16!) but basically if u want to sit down for a long period of time you can, thats fine, just be prepared for the searing pain when you stand up (or at least try to) at the end of your ordeal.

• 2 weeks later...

trial bikes dont need seats, apart from traveling in the ssdt. you stand up all the time otherwise you can not get control and balance

Jack

...erm, I know (I was winning awards in the mid 70's) it was a bit of fun!!!

Don't matter now - cos I bought a 240 Fantic (more my era) - woo hoo!

fivemeister, couldn't agree with you more! I ride both modern and twinshock trials. Everytime I get back on my Bultaco I can't beleive how comfortable the bike is to ride.

It would make sense to make a rule that in the world championship all the bikes have a useable seat and a minimun gas tank size, say 1 gallon. Not only would it make trials bikes look like real motorcycles again but it would make a trials bike a great trail bike again.

This would not only help promote the popularity of trials but increase bikes sales. Remember the more bikes that are sold, the more interest there is in the sport, the more money there is for rider support. Really everyone would be better off.

but it would make a trials bike a great trail bike again

Eggsackerly. Any of the twinshockers made a perfectly serviceable trail bike.

That was half the fun - road register it - getting out on the bike riding some great trails, bit of road work to the next favourite trials sections then home - all without lumping the bike around on a trailer and filling it up every two minutes.....

And 'road trials' were the business. Exactly as above with the competitive element. How can you do all that (and enjoy it) without a proper seat and decent tank??

fivemeister, couldn't agree with you more! I ride both modern and twinshock trials. Everytime I get back on my Bultaco I can't beleive how comfortable the bike is to ride.

It would make sense to make a rule that in the world championship all the bikes have a useable seat and a minimun gas tank size, say 1 gallon. Not only would it make trials bikes look like real motorcycles again but it would make a trials bike a great trail bike again.

It's here already !

post-185-1136573759.jpg

If it's here, let the FIM make a mandatory seat and minimum 1 gallon gas tank rule for all bikes.

Modern trials bikes don't look like a regular motorcycle anymore. You can't trail ride them very well and to sit on them you either have to live with your knees in your chin or sit up on the back fender.

I believe that is one of the main reasons that trials bikes are unpopular, and always will be, in America. The modern trials bike is basically only good for doing tricks and climbing around in rock fields the size of some people's yards. It is as useful as a skateboard. That is what skateboarders do, and they are a niche, sub-culture fringe sport/hobby. The 1 gallon aftermarket tanks are a joke. One cannot go on a real trail ride with 1 gallon. There needs to be a minimum 80-100 mile range, which would mean about 2 gallons for a 2-stroke. That would be the ultimate trail bike.