Honda Tlr250r ?

gaff

My trials teacher here in Hong Kong has 2 of these bikes...although..one is now for parts only I think.

The other is still running really strong and gets used alot. Fantastic motor..his are twinshock...so maybe older than yours...but otherwise looks the same. Not sure about parts...I'll ask him where he would get stuff..although..I think he's never needed to do anything other than fluid..oil changes. Good bike!

Don't get confused, the monoshock TLR250R is a TRAIL bike which is actually quite recent (i.e. not from the '80's era) and has nothing to do with the TLR250F twinshock machine which we all know and love, if you tried to ride a trial on one of these R machines you probably wouldn't want to try it again the next week.

I tried one of these a few days ago (maybe the same bike!) Nice bike, but I wholeheartedly agree, absolutely NOT a trials bike. Ideal for long distance 'hare & hounds' type stuff, bags of torque, unusual and in my opinion quite pretty. Nice touch is replaceable oil filter, shame they didn't think about that on the Twin Shock TLR250F which has woefully inadequate oil capacity.

Why didn't I buy? Because the motor is totally specific to that model, none of your usual Honda commonality with other models. Only ever sold in Japan, so no manuals or parts list unless you are lucky enough to have an interpreter. I'm sure its possible to get parts, but its not going to be easy.

Being a Honda it shouldn't need much, but drop it and break it at your peril!

Good Luck

Paul

Thanks for the tips and advice, what i have been told is that these bikes were the forerunner to the RTL ???, and also the two that i have seen are dated as 85's (one being regestered on a "C" plate, which if memory serves me correctly is August 85 till July 86).

Also, as "t-shock 250" and "TL Paul" have said, that this is more trail than trial, which means i would need to remove the lights, wiring loom, ignition and change the sprocket sizes, and as for spares, starting to sound like more trouble than it is worth.

Thanks for your time.

Gaff.

Your most probably right as in steering clear, i find it difficult getting bits for my RTL, let alone this one. But i'm still drawn to it ! if i was to buy, i may well use it for long-distance trials, and most probably experiment with sprocket sizes.

TL Paul, where did you see the bike you tried ???

Gaff.

I saw one of these rare "beasties" at a trial about three weeks ago, but as the owner was pushing it through the woods, and bogs about 2 miles from the parc ferme, i didn't think it was the right time to ask him what he thought of his bike!! I could imagine his reply !!

The bikes that i have seen are down here in the south at Bat Motorcycles in Biggen Hill.

Your not the only wobbler, i'm still trying to work out how to stay on the flaming things :D , my main bike being a 2000 Montesa (that may turn into a newer one or a Scorpa), the Honda RTL and CCM (that's in bits) i use on easy routes.

Gaff.

It's certainly a very different bike to ride in the weight, riding position and the way it responds. But the sound it makes, and the way it grips makes me beam from ear to ear. If i mess-up on the Mont i laugh, if i mess-up on the RTL i cry, hence it stays on the easies.

Paul, where abouts are you ?

Gaff.

Hi Gaff

Not so much south, i'm in that no mans land between south and midlands, called Gloucestershire!

I've only done a few trials with the local 'classic' club, hoping to do a few more this year when my Whitehawk comes back from its engine rebuild. My TL's are minters so i'm reluctant to risk dropping them in a trial (waits for chorus of disapproval!.........)

Was hoping to do the long distance trial around Stroud in late February, and planned to get a TLR200 for that, but havent found a decent one yet. That was my reason for loking at the TLR250R

(I have a manual for the TLR200...but no bike!)

Cheers