pre 65 frame

wilson c

ok i have a 1963 francis barnet falcon with i think a 197 9e  engine. i am concidering building a pre 65 trials frame wise ect do i go drayton or wasp or is there any other choices out there ? any help and advice is welcome be-it engine wheels frames ect

I have both. The 'wasp' frame is beautiful the metalwork and brazing a thing to behold. Mine had holes in the wrong place required significant work to just bolt stuff on. It steered well but had zero grip. The Drayton is ready to go everything fits is easy to bolt up bike rides very easy.. it feels like cheating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Save money and stay with the original Fanny Barnett frame. Build a nice machine in keeping with its age, trial a few seasons before going the ‘new’ frame route as this tends to deminish the originality. You may even fine the value is more than for a non genuine framed bike.? Your 9E engine will ( if in good order) provide a nice spread of usable torque in 197cc form but you could go to 250cc with little problem. The Villiers engine is a lovely and simple engine that is well supported with parts from Villiers Services and a few other suppliers. The engine will respond to a little careful porting and polishing, electronic ignition will see a little more pep from the willing engine but a well set up CB system can be just as rewarding. Have a good look at the owners web site and on this web site, some of the ‘old bikes’ have been surprisingly well developed. ?Used to own a Fanny Barnet and I wish that I still had it.

thanks for your help. thing is this bike was my late father inlaws , i have had it for about 25 years with a mind to restore it but i have always given my spare time to trials and cars . i have alwas thaught it was a shame to chop this bike up but i want to ride it and as i dont have a bike licence this is a good compromise . so im thinking forks and clamps wheels converted alloy rims swing arm alterd strip and re-build engine ect and try to use as much of the origional parts as possible is proberbly the way to go