Carb Problems

bigfoot

I was having problems starting me 2001 280 recently and so serviced the carb. It was a little dirtly and had a little water in the bowl but otherwise was OK. The bike now starts but runs badly. It pinking, hunting and not ticking over very well. I think its running too rich/lean and have tried adjusting to no avail. How many turns out should the mixture be set of normal UK riding?

Did you blow out all the orifaces?? Sounds like you unlodged something that is now jammed in a jet, most likely the pilot. I'd take it back off and carefully flush and blow out all the jets and the orifaces in the carb.

Fuel screw setting will vary place to place and even day to day. Suggest you start at about 3.5 turns out and work from there.

Hi Big,

It sounds like either you still have a clogged jet or you have an airleak. Be sure you carefully check the intake boot. My TXT intake boot started cracking after just a couple of years. Any air leak whatsoever will cause the symptoms you described.

I think I replaced my first Bultaco compliance fitting around 1975.

Spanish rubber parts were funky then, and they're funky now. I don't know why it's so, but it is.

Heck...when the tires on my Sherco began to slowly lose air, it turned out to be the valve cores. That little bit of rubber in there had stopped sealing.

It's a good idea to change any intake rubber at the first sign of cracking.

I hit them with a little silicone periodically.

It makes me feel better.

i had to replace the intake boot on my kids txt70 as well.i also had a carb problem a few years ago.i took it off and cleaned it out but still had them same problems as stated above.well to make a loong story short i traced it back to senderos gas :P i was out of gas in my can so i barrowed some from good ole sendero.it took a while but i traced it back to the 2 stroke oil we use.sendero uses the natural stuff and i use synthetic.so i drained the tank and put fresh new gas in and the problem was solved.it may have been something else but who knows? :D

Edited by petersdraggin

• 3 weeks later...

Be careful using the unlit propane torch to find a leak in the inlet manifold.

It works and it is quick and efficient.

It is also a good way of finding leaks in the HT circuit.

It works well, but be careful

when i got my beta you could fit your little finger in one of the holes on the intake mani fold i soon had that replaced the person who ahd it before me was riding with it like that

...and YOU BOUGHT IT??? :D

How do you know the size of my little finger?

I've sort of resolved the fault but not totally. I recleaned the carb and it was still not good but after a couple of thrash runs up some big hills it all of a sudden cleared. The problem now is that it sometimes just dies on tick over and is very difficult to restart.