TLR250 Piston kit and Gaskets

Gary Boniface

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to rebuild the motor in my 1985 TLR250

I've just been to my local Honda dealer who was sorry to tell me that TLR250 Piston, Rings, Head and Base gaskets are No Longer Available for Honda.

My bike had over 7,000km showing on the speedo when I got it 6 years ago. It was used to check fences on a farm & never used in Trials.

I have been using it in several TwinShock Trials a year in Australia ever since, plus quite a few good trail rides with mates on 'Older' Trials bikes so she would be way past the 8,000km mark by now.

Any idea's where I can source a Piston kit & required gaskets??

Mr Honda still has cam chains & guides etc & I have ordered them.

Thanks in adavance for any help.

Cheers,

Gary B.

G'day Gary, i just ordered some rings,head & base  gasket of Colin Leese & TYOFFROAD, i have 2 TLR 250's 1 i'm just about to put back together & then i'll pull the other 1 apart.

I've had a couple of piston coated with the blue colour HFC coating which builds up the piston a bit to give a tighter fit, i'm pretty lucky the Vic HFC coatings is in Gippsland not far from me, i have had them posted when i lived further away. I know somebody sells after market pistons, i was told not to go for the oversize 1's as they could be a hand grenade ?

I did find someone in Dandenong Vic who would make a 1 off Piston, pin & rings for about $700 Aus.

9 hours ago, Gary Boniface said:

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to rebuild the motor in my 1985 TLR250

I've just been to my local Honda dealer who was sorry to tell me that TLR250 Piston, Rings, Head and Base gaskets are No Longer Available for Honda.

My bike had over 7,000km showing on the speedo when I got it 6 years ago. It was used to check fences on a farm & never used in Trials.

I have been using it in several TwinShock Trials a year in Australia ever since, plus quite a few good trail rides with mates on 'Older' Trials bikes so she would be way past the 8,000km mark by now.

Any idea's where I can source a Piston kit & required gaskets??

Mr Honda still has cam chains & guides etc & I have ordered them.

Thanks in adavance for any help.

Cheers,

Gary B.

TY OFFROAD have got pistons as well as ring sets. The pistons are both standard and oversize. The oversize he had made and is a quality piston, it's more like a hone oversize than a proper oversize. A good number have been sold with no problems.

Check the website   https://www.tyoffroad.co.uk/store/c20/ENGINE.html

• 1 month later...

Bonjour

Il vaut mieux eviter de realeser un cylindre de 250cc car l'epaisseur du fut du cylindre devient  cassant{tres fin,trop fin}La solution serait de prendre un piston cote d'origine chez TY Off Road ,et d'aller voir un atelier 

qui traite les cylindres au Nikasil. En "chargeant un peu fort avec le Nikasil,il pourrait mettre le jeu correct pour le piston cote d'origine "sans affaiblir le fut du cylindre d'origine qui est deja limite.

Claude