Trials With Road Work

atomant

Midland Centre road trials coming up:

The Vale of Evesham, Centre Championship two routes 20 miles 29th January.

The Colmore Cup, One off National for this year (Not a NovoGar round) 25 Miles and one lap of 40 sections across the Cotswold Hills near Broadway. Punch card change at the half way point, which for this year is at a remote farm high on the hills.

Picture this one Atomant. I know you'll know most of these bits of land if not all of them.

This was a consideration for the Mid Wales Novogar last year, before we decided on the mountain (with resident clubs/landowners permission of course).

Nant Mawr quarry - 4-5 sections

New Barns Farm - 4-5 sections

Green Hall Farm 6-7 sections

Coed Siencyn - 4-5 sections

Farm opposite Coed Siencyn - 4-5 sections

Dolanog - 4-5 sections

New Dolanog forestry area - 4-5 sections

Bowdens Farm - 4-5 sections.

Most of the local venues all crammed in to one big trial.

We decided that a few hundred thousand acres of forestry would probably do the job as well, so plumped for the mountain. :closedeyes:

Surely that Novogar made you want to ride :santa1:

I reckon the Manx 2 day clubman route would be great for you!

Picture this one Atomant. I know you'll know most of these bits of land if not all of them.

This was a consideration for the Mid Wales Novogar last year, before we decided on the mountain (with resident clubs/landowners permission of course).

Nant Mawr quarry - 4-5 sections

New Barns Farm - 4-5 sections

Green Hall Farm 6-7 sections

Coed Siencyn - 4-5 sections

Farm opposite Coed Siencyn - 4-5 sections

Dolanog - 4-5 sections

New Dolanog forestry area - 4-5 sections

Bowdens Farm - 4-5 sections.

Most of the local venues all crammed in to one big trial.

We decided that a few hundred thousand acres of forestry would probably do the job as well, so plumped for the mountain.

The Cleveland run by Middlesbrough Club is in March, one lap of 30 someting sections, fair bit of road & moor, 2 routes marked but 3 ridden. (do the easy route) Can be a bugger to get a ride though as it's usually oversubscribed.

The Cleveland entry is balloted so you have a good a chance as anyone.

first of all the ACU insurance for road trials is available to under 21 and other people with excluded under the basic conditions if they ask for it

we down here in the south east have been running mulitlap events for donkeys years because as you say we don't have moors (what is a moor? or for that matter what are rocks?) or forests or anything for that matter! on the other hand trials did traditionally down here run between various bits of land (eg our recent centre championship trial owes its name - the Sidcup Sixty - to its original 60 mile lap), the only one i recall like that recently down here was the pre65 inter centre. thus other than a few pre65s and sidecars who do nationals no one's bikes are on the road

on the other hand we're started running a few of these long distance trials for the pre65s but mostly trail riders (serrows, alps, etc plus the enduro lot), there are 3 of them running down here and they are very popular.

fundamentally if the event has a big entry / is oversubscribed then you (the organiser) are doing something right. where you are right to question it is if someone is being put at a disadvantaged say if the event was part of the "normal" championship - ie people who would be winning off road who can't do road are unfairly disadvantaged

rabie :closedeyes:

Rabie, there are loads of us down here on the south coast who ride trials on the road. The only thing is we travel all over the country to ride them.

Sadly I am old enough to have ridden all the S E Centre trials that used to be on the roads. Oh for the old days (LOOKS THROUGH ROSE TINTED SPECKS) :closedeyes:

Yeah, Only trouble is Gaz, the minds willing but the body aint  :closedeyes:

Me thinks better walk before ye can run!

There is another theory:

If you try to run and fail you'll prbably find you can still walk better than the ones who never bothered at all,

Unfortunately there is a third:

If you try to run and fail, you may not be able to walk at all :(

Someone earlier on these posts touched on the fact that 'its a little more work for organisers', too right it is...we run a round of the British Solo Trials Champs(all in 1 venue) and a round of the British Trail bike champs (multi venues), the latter is bloody hard work. We use all our venues on the one day which means its one time less that we can ask the land owner for use of his land; section marking takes weeks; route marking is an event in itself..I could go on.

I agree with the comments regarding the fun that is to be had from riding these 'road based' events but as a trials organiser/section marker/course clearing 'bod', I know which type of event I'd like to run.

Riders have fun but spare a thought for the old boys who have to 'do the business'.

Sorry to moan but I'm glad its just the one long distance trial we organise!!

Regards, Mark.

The Colmore Cup, One off National for this year (Not a NovoGar round) 25 Miles and one lap of 40 sections across the Cotswold Hills near Broadway. Punch card change at the half way point, which for this year is at a remote farm high on the hills.

I haven't seen the regs for the trial on the 29th yet are they in TMX?

I take it the Colmore is only 1 route?

Cheers

Dave

If you go to the Stratford-Upon-Avon web site you can down load the regs from there. stratford-upon-avonmcc.org.uk./

Yes the Colmore is one route.

If you go to the Stratford-Upon-Avon web site you can down load the regs from there. stratford-upon-avonmcc.org.uk./

Yes the Colmore is one route.

Cheers

I will log on