Trials With Road Work

atomant

Just before the purist's start going crazy, this is just meant as an observation but why are there still trials that have a 'road' element in them.

I understand from the early days that most trials bikes were road bikes anyway so it didnt matter, but nowadays, a modern trials bike just aint suited to the road. no seat, a petrol tank that holds sod all and tyres that are just crap to use on the road.( as well as they dont last long either) So whats the point?

The other obvious observation is it excludes youths who arent old enough to get a licence.

What does riding on the road add to a trial ?. If its regarded as an endurance test then thats better to be done off road surely. Its certainly safer? or is it just because its tradition?

comments please ?

Out of the 29 days of Trialing a year that Richmond Mototr Club run we have four Trials that include road work.

Gerald Simpson Memorial - Traditional one lap of 40 sections, entry limit 150 - oversubscibed within 5 days of entries opening.

Reeth Three Day - Tradional Trial of 40 sections a day (all different) - oversubsribed within 5 days of entries opening. We run with approx. 180 riders but we'd still have to turn people away if ran with 300.

Crackpot Trial - Yorkshire Centre Championship round - 2 laps of 25 sections - not pre-entry but we have had over 150 turn up to ride.

Scott Trial - as Overthehill said a while back 'The only REAL Trial left' - entry limit of 200, full in recent years - As it's Time & Observation road crossings are police manned - Ask Dabster what young Wiggy said after seeing the Scott for the first time 'I've got to do this'

Will there be a promoter brave enough to run a T & O Trial with a pot of gold for the winner? It's what Trials needs.

Having been at my 'peak' when multi group sections linked by stretches of road trials were the norm... (the 80's) there's no comparison between those and the '10 subs in a field' we get today. Imagine riding 35 to 40 DIFFERENT sections in a trial with 20 - 40 miles on the road just once with often a different type of terrain / condition for each group and 6 to 7 hours continuous riding. Oh yeah, and this is when there was just one route for all.... Finishing a trial on less than 100 was an achievement for me... footing out of a long sub for a 3 once got me a mention in MCN....

Aaah... magic moments.....

Even in the twin shock era bikes weren't suited to riding on the road...

AtomAnt, Have you had a bad experience with road trials?

Generally in my opinion road trials are better (for me)than closed circuit trials for a number of reasons.

1)You end up with a greater variety of terrain and therefore sections.

2)You get a rest riding between the groups of sections (yes,it's my age).

3)If you don't like a section you don't have to keep going back to it as in multi lappers.

4)You see more of the countryside.

5)Fewer kids to show you up!

Yes modern trials bikes are less than suitable for road work, yes it sh*gs your tyres, yes fuel can be a problem and yes legality of your bike is an issue but overall at the end of the day road trials are more enjoyable for me.

AtomAnt, Have you had a bad experience with road trials?

No, my question was based on curiosity as I have never been brave (or fit) enough to try one but looking at the posts above, I can feel the passion oozing out and its contagious. Me thinks its time I had a go :closedeyes:

Whats a good one to start with as a newbie :(

The Cleveland run by Middlesbrough Club is in March, one lap of 30 someting sections, fair bit of road & moor, 2 routes marked but 3 ridden. (do the easy route) Can be a bugger to get a ride though as it's usually oversubscribed.

Whats a good one to start with as a newbie

theres a steady little jaunt of a trial going on in fort William,

This May day bank holiday,It only lasts six days, why not have a go at that,

how does between 80 to 126 miles per day sound to ya?? :closedeyes:

One lap trials are the best, proper trials & long may they continue.

how does between 80 to 126 miles per day sound to ya?? ;)

Hehe :closedeyes: I think I might just wait a few years before having a go at that little jolly. ;)

Also, I gotta agree with the Dabster that only having the one chance at a section is the dogs danglies :(

Having been at my 'peak' when multi group sections linked by stretches of road trials were the norm... (the 80's) there's no comparison between those and the '10 subs in a field' we get today. Imagine riding 35 to 40 DIFFERENT sections in a trial with 20 - 40 miles on the road just once with often a different type of terrain / condition for each group and 6 to 7 hours continuous riding. Oh yeah, and this is when there was just one route for all.... Finishing a trial on less than 100 was an achievement for me... footing out of a long sub for a 3 once got me a mention in MCN....

Aaah... magic moments.....

Even in the twin shock era bikes weren't suited to riding on the road...

Agree with you Andy, I loved the road trials...far better than the stuff we do now...Vic Brittian...Knighton Two day etc etc great stuff.

If you've never road one you havn't lived I say :closedeyes:

how does between 80 to 126 miles per day sound to ya?? ;)

Hehe :closedeyes: I think I might just wait a few years before having a go at that little jolly. ;)

Also, I gotta agree with the Dabster that only having the one chance at a section is the dogs danglies :(

I think you should get in training for the Scott NOW! Not only do you get one go at 76 different section you don't get chance to look at them either.

I prefer the road Trials. They seem more of an event against some of the 10 section 4 lap affairs we have around here, where it seems that we have to rush round as quick as possible in order to finish in time for the organisers to get to the pub in time for a lunchtime pint.

A big advantage of a roadtrial is that they can use land that would otherwise be unusable. For example the spinney in the corner of a field that has about 3 sections and no suitable parking. In East Anglia we still have a lot of these odd bits of land. In these times of land loss this may be the way foward for the sport.

Obviously the biggest disdadvantage is the need to have a road legal bike and in particular the insurance for younger riders. The ACU day insurance is not available for riders under 21. I do not see the lack of seats and small fuel tanks as a problem. After all how do all the riders get around the SSDT course, it's all part of the event.

Again it is more work for the organisers with liasing with the police and local authorities but in my opinion the extra effort is well worth it.

Stuart

Edited by twinnshock

I think you should get in training for the Scott NOW! Not only do you get one go at 76 different section you don't get chance to look at them either.
What skill level is required to ride that?

zero to superstar, you set off & see how far you can get. If you want to ride for charity make some dosh for a good cause.