Techno questions

tom2010

Morning all!

ive had my 1998 Techno (lampkin edition if it makes any difference) for many years now, it’s used as a spare toy as I mainly ride enduro and it’s due a refresh as it’s been sat for a while

i totally rebuilt the engine, water pump etc so that is all good, fan kicks in nicely, recently rebuilt forks with new seals and oil... however the brakes are always terrible, seemingly no matter what I do they are utter crap, plenty of pressure on front just doesn’t stop well and back had pressure and now it’s gone again.

is it possible to put rev3 or newer brakes on? And just swap out the whole system? 

I also have a stripped thread on the swing arm spindle, bought one on eBay back in Jan and just fine to fit it...too big 🙄 a whole 0.5mm out on diameter (16.5mm vs 16mm for the one that came out) it was listed as for all Technos so not sure what is going on there?! There’s another listed by the same bloke but I’m reluctant to buy if it’ll be wrong again... any ideas?

and finally the linkage bearings are shot, is there a full kit to replace and do they need pressing in?

thanks!

The Techno rear brake was always a bit weak, but if it's losing pressure there's a leak somewhere, this doesn't have to mean fluid is dripping out somewhere, it could be the pistons seal in the master cylinder is leaking past.

There are still rebuild kits available for the calipers but I think the master cylinder rebuild kit isn't, though the rear master cylinder as a whole is available new. Try https://trialstribulations.net/ they seem to stock plenty of parts for Betas.

They are fiddly to bleed, some remove everything and hang it all up so the fluid runs down, though in the past I've back bleed rear brakes with a short pipe and large syringe.

For the spindle, can't you get a new thread cut on he old, stripped one and a new nut or get a local engineer to turn you a new one using the old as a template?

Other than that try your local Beta importers.

Again, the linkage bearings and bushes are listed on the above site.

The bearings are interferance fit, so need pushing out and the new ones pushing in.

You can usually do this with a couple of sockets and a vice, a larger socket on one side to push out into and one that fits the bearings outer shell on the other side to push it into the void.