2006 Scorpa SY 250

DNF

New to trials. Bought a SY 250. The bike has been in storage through out 2019. the fuel tank now shows signs of external blistering. I suspect the fuel has reacted with what looks like a GRP tank. Is this an inherint Design flaw, should I have drained the fuel between use, Will the fuel eventually work its way through the tank, any risk of contaminated fuel will degrade the carb. Is there a cost effective repaire or a means of linning the tank or is the option to source a breakers replacement. There is also the issue of the tyre wall on the rear wheel is rubbing over the head of a bolt that secures the chain guard. The bearings feel sound, not sure if the issue is the width of the Michelin tyre. Any advice appreciated Thanks

• Andy locked and unlocked this topic

The standard tank on them was plastic and it did breathe vapour through the walls which can cause paint and stickers to bubble but is otherwise fine to use. All plastic tanks breathe petrol vapour.

If your tank really is GRP and I see you are in the UK so it is at risk of being dissolved by your fuel but it can be lined with epoxy resin to make it fuel proof for your fuel.

A photo would help determine what it is made from

hello, feetupfun, thanks for the reply, I have looked back through and found previous posts regarding the deteriation of plastic parts in contact with modern fuel. I have now learnt what the symbol E10 means when I draw fuel from a filling station and suspect that the 10 percent Ethanol content in unleaded fuel is the cause of the damage. In future I shall go for a super unleaded 97 to 99 grade. Seeing the damage to the tank and through the resource of trials central and the forums has opened my eyes to a subject largely unreported in the UK. In future I think it wise to drain the system down between use. I still have to address the issue of the rear tyre runing against a bolt. I am uncertain as to the width of the origonal tyres as fitted by scorpa, Thanks again for your response

Your tyre might be rubbing on the bolts because the wheel is not set straight in line. Just coz the rear wheel adjusters are on the same marks doesn't mean the wheel is exactly in line. You could also get a hacksaw and shorten the bolts.