2021 ePure Race

dgshannon

On 7/29/2021 at 10:54 PM, motovita said:

The question rattling around in my head is what happens if you lock the rear wheel without pulling the clutch lever in???

What I want to know is:  1 - can I retrofit Tickover on my 2021 Race?  Why not?

2 - Where to get the FRB button?

15 hours ago, geewizard said:

I got my FRB button direct from the EM distributor.  It has the right length of wire and connectors.  Otherwise, it's just a kill button and you can save a LOT of money if you are willing to do your own wiring.

I'm a dick.  CPD is doing the best they can, with what EM makes.

Edited by richtr300i
I'm a dick.

The FRB works really well. I think it is more than engine braking on my old Beta 300 4T- I almost never use the rear brake anymore.

I found a very nice waterproof button and mounts under the bar. So I can  just move my thumb a bit and press it, no need to unwrap thumb. 

http://www.pmrcomponents.com/pmrweb_010.htm

Edited by lotus54

12 hours ago, richtr300i said:

What I want to know is:  1 - can I retrofit Tickover on my 2021 Race?  Why not?

2 - Where to get the FRB button?

1) The tickover modes are separate maps in the controller. To have it on a 2021 would require being able to install/change new maps. To date, I have seen nothing around the ability to do this after the bikes leave the factory. Montesa provides for map changes on the 4RT, so it would be cool if EM allowed the same.

2) You can get the factory button from your EM dealer. However, if I were to add one, John at Kauila Motors (kauilamotors@gmail.com) has one that is a small, single-finger, lever instead of a button. To me, using your index finger to pull a trigger, rather than your thumb to push a button, is a far better solution. Plus, the one John sells is considerably cheaper.

12 hours ago, richtr300i said:

I'm pretty much the opposite of impressed with the EM importer here in the US.  Curt/short answers, and apparently no time for customers.  Hell, when I received my EM, all the oil had leaked out of the "transmission".  So, I have that going for me.  And when I asked about the really really long kickstand...  the answer was that I must be crazy that my bike doesn't stand up.

Finally, the bike makes a horrific "clunk" whenever I come off an obstacle, still can't figure out what it is.

Unfortunate that your impression wasn't a positive one. I have had numerous exchanges with the owner, and his staff, over the past couple of years, and have always been well pleased. Have you reached out to your local EM dealer, in California? Likely they would have a bit more time to help you with any issues, than the owner of a multi-brand bike importing company does.

My kickstand length is perfectly fine, and works just like the high-end add ons I have put on my other bike brands. Any chance yours has become bent at the mounting point?

On your "clunk", can you tell if it is front versus rear? Maybe associated with your kickstand issue? 🤔

13 hours ago, richtr300i said:

I'm pretty much the opposite of impressed with the EM importer here in the US.  Curt/short answers, and apparently no time for customers.  Hell, when I received my EM, all the oil had leaked out of the "transmission".  So, I have that going for me.  And when I asked about the really really long kickstand...  the answer was that I must be crazy that my bike doesn't stand up.

Finally, the bike makes a horrific "clunk" whenever I come off an obstacle, still can't figure out what it is.

I've had nothing but positive interaction with Central PowerSports.

• Like 1

I'm frustrated, and incorrectly vented on CPD. They're not the target, it's EM. 

I see their product (EM that is) as 95% complete, and I asked EM 2 years ago about an "idle" function and they said it's not possible. Yet here they are offering Tickover on 2022 models.

Irritating not to have a retrofit especially from a computer based controller. And that's not CPD's fault it's EM.

My apologies to CPD and Mark Berg. I surely do not understand the challenges of being an importer. 

I agree- it should be offered as an option for the older bikes.  Assuming it is just programming of course, which it certainly seems to be.

I think it could be nice in a trial competition, but just wasting energy for trails. I like using the FRB a lot and it is quite ‘jerky’ if you use the FRB with any throttle opening at all. (Pressing the FRB with throttle open will immediatly shut off engine and go to regen, regardless of throttle position. And letting it off with throttle open causes it to immediately go to that opening, not smooth at all.)

I have no idea how they implement the ‘traction control’ so it could need more components?  And perhaps the hardware is different on the newer bikes that have it?  I am just speculating since I have not even seen a 2022.

1 minute ago, lotus54 said:

I agree- it should be offered as an option for the older bikes.  Assuming it is just programming of course, which it certainly seems to be.

I think it could be nice in a trial competition, but just wasting energy for trails. I like using the FRB a lot and it is quite ‘jerky’ if you use the FRB with any throttle opening at all. (Pressing the FRB with throttle open will immediatly shut off engine and go to regen, regardless of throttle position. And letting it off with throttle open causes it to immediately go to that opening, not smooth at all.)

I have no idea how they implement the ‘traction control’ so it could need more components?  And perhaps the hardware is different on the newer bikes that have it?  I am just speculating since I have not even seen a 2022.

Ya, no idea. It's rough with the electric motor as there's no "carryover" with the motor going up and over things. On mine it's almost like it has braking built in even though I don't have the FRB switch. The motor really doesn't freewheel.