Pre Unit Sparks

rusty ken

My G3 Matchless uses a Lucas wader magneto with manual advance retard, as it would have been back in the day.  The majority of unit 4 strokes and most of the two strokes have all moved to electronic ignition, which potentially leaves the pre unit further behind...

What ignition system are you using for you pre unit bikes? Is it an improvement on the original magneto, and is it worth changing?

I use a BTH electronic unit on my rigid AJS, it is reliable and more accurate than the Lucas racing mag it had before. Go to the Talmag and you will see loads of them there. Not cheap, but worthwhile if you want a good spark at the right time,every time. I have nothing against mags, I'm going to a VMCC meet on my ex WD G3l tomorrow,happily running on an N1 Lucas. But for trials its a new BTH.

• 5 months later...

I took the advice offerred above, robbed the kids college fund, and bought a new bth mag.

Ordering was a breeze, and delivery only took a couple of days. I've got to say it was very straight forward to fit, and setting the timing is a fair bit easier than with the original mag and points, and no more cigarate papers needed.

I've had a couple of outings with the new sparks, and the bike hasn't missed a beat.  The electronic advance gives a very nice pick up from idle, and it's about a kilo lighter than the original N1C. 

All in all, I'm very happy with it, and would happily recommend them.

• Like 2