Can't Find Neutral!

tonyp884

Hey guys, I have a 1997 Fantic Section, in really nice condition. There is one thing I like your help on.

With the engine running, while the wheels are not rolling, it is impossible to get the tranny into neutral. If I am rooling to a stop, I can select neutral most of the time, BEFORE I stop rolling.

I've used many different types of fluid / oils in the tranny, and adjusted the clutch per specs, but still no improvement.

If the engine is not running, finding neutral is no problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tony P

Charlotte, NC USA

Your symptoms are typical of a clutch that drags slightly.

Question 1

Has the problem developed over time, or did it happen suddenly, or did you just buy the bike and have no history of the bike's clutch action?

Question 2

Do you have wide experience of different bikes clutches to judge if yours is abnormal? I only ask this because there are not many trials bikes that can easily select neutral with back wheel stationary and the motor running.

If there really is a problem with your clutch, you will need to take the clutch cover off and do some visual checking of the clutch.

Check 1

Watch the pressure plate as you pull in the clutch lever. To avoid clutch drag, the pressure plate must move evenly ie stay parallel with the plates. If it moves away from parallel, you may have a problem with the springs.

Check 2

Find out how much the pressure plate should move with the full travel of the clutch lever and check how much yours moves. If it not moving far enough, the bike may have the wrong clutch lever and/or mount assembly giving not enough travel of the cable. Another possibility is a problem with the mechanism that converts cable movement to clutch pressure plate movement.

Check 3

If all this is OK, make another posting saying what you did find and I will suggest what to do next.

Over 40 years of two wheel motorcycles, some are very hard to find neutral with the engine running and stopped. If everything else is working fine don't worry about it, Ride it. You don't want to leave it idle in neutral very long anyway, just shut it off and restart. Ted