TR77 Frame Colour?

IDC

I am restoring my Ossa Tr77 250 and would like to keep it original as far as is possible. As far as I can tell the frame still has the original finish albeit rusty in places, the Ossa silver vehicle type sticker is still on the headstock along with the stamped frame number, so I am reasonably sure it has never been repainted.The build date on the sticker is May 77 and the frame is a light grey almost metallic with the tank and side panels being the usual green.  Has anyone come across this colour combination before? most bikes on the forum/internet etc from this era seem to have black or green frames. I would be interested if the light grey/green is a combination that anyone else has come across and if so what colour would the mudguards have been. Thanks.

It seems that some of the first TR77 production run were produced with the same silver/grey frame colour as the MAR. I've not seen this documented anywhere but it's according to people who bought them new at the time who've said they came with the silver/grey frame with green tank and side panels. The more common frame colour was black. The mudguards were an opaque/white colour, no longer available I think, as opposed to solid white. It was the next model, the TR77 Verde that had the green frame and green guards

It sounds as though you might have one of those that came with a silver frame, your frame number should start 63 so maybe it's an early number. According to Vitale Ossa the RAL code for the silver is 9006 - or the old 1970s Ford UK colour of Silver Fox is a good match

Thanks for the info Woody. The frame number does start with 63 and is in the first 99 bikes so is probably an early example of the TR77, I think the silver will be the way foward.

Here's my TR77, I bought it when it was maybe 8 months old? In this pic I have already made short work of ruining the tank and also the original bright orange Girlings have been bent beyond repair! Iposted tis pic once and almost everyone told me that the frame should have been black and that someone must have painted it. That clearly wasn't the case! Regardless, happy days!!!

Ossa.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Rockheadrumple, your bike looks similar to mine.I think woody must be correct when he says the early production run of TR77s were not black framed or green. Mine is frame number B6300** (which is in the first 99 made? assuming sequential numbering)and is a light grey with a subtle fleck of black particles a bit like a metallic finish but black bits instead of silver. The center crankcases are also finished in this colour with the outer casings being plain alloy,is yours a low frame number? I am not sure now whether to try and replicate the light grey or just go for silver.

20220311_183426.jpg