Newbie Questions I'm Afraid!

tedm

like the prior post, I'd recommend a smaller bike, say 200. Much easier to control, and forces good technique rather than just throttle. Granted, you are limited on progression to the upper classes, but sounds like lyou are totally new to mc anyway. And, the smaller bike is eariser for the daughters to ride, and get them involved. I bought a used 200 for the daughter (son has a 270), until she regularly beats me now. I can ride far better on the 200 than on the 270 personally.

do't be discuouraged, it looks so easy why can't I do that turn. Highly addictive, and great people.

At 66 and with a little trail and street riding expierence I bought a used trials bike just because they look light and fun. I have really enjoyed riding around the few acres we have. I set up a couple of creek crossings and some practice logs, just in case I get the urge to join the "guys". Take your time to find a good deal on a bike. If you decide later it's not fun, you can sell out with just the cost of a few bruises. You can expect to get banged up a little if you keep looking for more challenging obstacles.

Again, thanks for all the replies chaps. I'm back on the case and looking for a '98 or newer bike that I can wobble around on for a while.

I'm not going to get caught up the 'What's the best bike' subject as I'm sure I can't tell the difference right now, and I geuss I can always sell and buy another later on if I get theng of it.

I see a few of you have suggested a 200 rather than a 250. Presumably this is because the power delivery is softer/more managable for a novice, right? Sounds like it may be a good move for me!

I see a few of you have suggested a 200 rather than a 250.  Presumably this is because the power delivery is softer/more managable for a novice, right?  Sounds like it may be a good move for me!

Don't discount 125's. They have a surprising amount of pulling power.