Hi from Dumfries .. Scotland

spooky

Hello to you all, I am returning (i hope) to trials riding after  a spell of about 40 years since my last competitive trial on a Montesa 200. For some reason i thought it would be a good idea at nearly 70 years old to try again !! One addition to my framework since then is a hip replacement though, I know I have to be careful and voluntary 5`s will sometimes be needed, anyone else riding trials with a hip replaced ? I am hoping to make my comeback with a Fantic 125, there are a couple of evening trials run within 10 miles of me,they always have a novice section,  I have dusted off my NCB wellys in readiness..... see you upside down !

Edited by spooky
  • Thanks 1

• spooky changed the title to Hi from Dumfries .. Scotland

Hi spooky , I had a hip replacement 10 years ago - ridden the last 9 of them in trials - albeit at a “b” route level ( omitting certain sections ). I’m now 69 and intending to continue - Dumfries trials are great as are Dalmellington trials . Most clubs cater for old farts like me 😀

most of the issues are in your own head ( lack of confidence ,etc ) .it will take you a while to get bike fit ( recommend cycling is good way to strengthen legs , at our age )..

Ride what you feel comfortable with at all times and have fun - we ain’t going to win any trials 

all the best 

Hello and welcome, trials is a good hobby for the new year :)

New boots are good (more comfortable than the old wellies, lol), also modern bikes are far lighter than the old ones, and their suspension is more forgiving for joint discomfort because they have progressive springs.  One of the older chaps* at a club I was a member of used to use a helmet designed for serious mountain biking because it was lighter than the road-legal ones, but I'd check with your club before getting one.  I don't have any hip problems yet, but I do have a bad knee and a tibia that's held together with metal, and I can still ride a lot of serious stuff - there's no shame in making things easier so you can have more fun for longer!

* he was winning local trials at age 72 last I heard