Hi, my name is Lee.

lazy

Just thinking of buying a Montesa Cota 247   72-78. I had one when I was seventeen some 49  years ago. Thought it would be a fantastic project and also to get me fit. The only problem is some of the parts are missing, engine cover,exhast and rear brake lever. Just wondering are thease parts still available? sure there will be other parts it needs. .....Thanks ...Lee

Edited by lazy

Welcome aboard! I did similar through rose tinted spectacles (Montesa Cota 1975). Bit of a nightmare. Parts aren’t that readily available and (sorry purists) they can be a bugger to start. Depending on budgets and your location, I would 100% go for something newer. If twinshock, I would personally go for a TY175 or Fantic 200 (both have parts readily available). Or maybe a TY250 Mono if you want something marginally newer, easy for parts and good on reliability. And then you get modern and it all opens up….!!!!

If you are buying it to ride and become a better rider buy a good running modern bike. If you are buying an old Montesa because you once rode one that's a completely different thing.

... oh and Hi Lee 😎 I too have an old Montesa that needs parts 

Edited by lemur

On 9/12/2023 at 9:34 PM, rr62 said:

Welcome aboard! I did similar through rose tinted spectacles (Montesa Cota 1975). Bit of a nightmare. Parts aren’t that readily available and (sorry purists) they can be a bugger to start. Depending on budgets and your location, I would 100% go for something newer. If twinshock, I would personally go for a TY175 or Fantic 200 (both have parts readily available). Or maybe a TY250 Mono if you want something marginally newer, easy for parts and good on reliability. And then you get modern and it all opens up….!!!!

Just retired and was looking for a project. Had a Montesa some 40 years ago thought it would be a good idea to get one to restore, just missed one that was just down the road from me. All the other ones are either to expensive or have parts missing. Will keep an eye out for  a TY250 or a Fantic..........seems like a plan.............many thanks for your help.

On 9/12/2023 at 9:42 PM, lemur said:

If you are buying it to ride and become a better rider buy a good running modern bike. If you are buying an old Montesa because you once rode one that's a completely different thing.

... oh and Hi Lee 😎 I too have an old Montesa that needs parts 

Wanted a Montesa just because I had one when I was 17, now retired lokking for a project, they are either to expensive or have parts missing.........................