REH fork yokes

rusty ken

REH forks currently seem to be the preferred choice for anyone looking to build a competitive pre 65 bike.

The matching yokes are listed as having  an offset of 40mm, which is a bit less than the original setup on my Bamford Matchless, and by my calculations would increase the trail from approx 4 inches to around 5 1/4 inches. Any of my background reading would suggest this would be a bit excessive.

There's no doubt the REH fork movement feels terific, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who is using the REH yokes on a pre unit bike (particularly those with more traditional frame geometry) how the reduced offset has affected the handling, if at all?

• 5 weeks later...

Generally 40mm offset sounds pretty normal for pre-65 parallel yokes, but 100mm trail is much . Bike will be stable but also can be difficult to turn

Also depends of type of fork you use. Some forks have offset wheel spindle that increase total offset e.g. Royal Enfield and decrease trail

Make sure you don´t need forward raked yokes to decrease trail.

People usually decrease steering beam angle to decrease trail.

I can check later what I did for a Bamford framed G80. The owner was very happy with the new geometry. He use Ceriani (1961 type) forks

• Like 1