Mag cover interchangeability

70sBulRacer

Your existing clutch cover also houses the adjuster for pushrod play against the actuator.  If you put the later 1972 cover on there is no adjuster so you have no way of adjusting the clearance.

The later clutches have the adjuster on the clutch pressure plate which is accessed via the large plastic screw in the later clutch cover so you'd also need to fit that along with a later type pressure plate and pushrod assembly

Why do you want to do it, for appearance?  Or better clutch action?  If the latter you can get a light clutch operation with the original set up using Barnett friction plates which allows less tension on the clutch springs, therefore lighter pull. Also make sure the actuator worm drive is cleaned and greased and rotates freely, they easily get gunged up located where they are

• Like 2

Thanks for the info.  My purpose was twofold; the later style cover provides smoother clutch action and better feel, as well as locating the cable and arm on the top of the case where it’s out of harm’s way.  The early style worm actuator quickly gets caked with gunk thrown onto it from the chain and front sprocket, especially in muddy woods conditions.

Edited by 70sBulRacer
Clarity

Further to what Woody said, having just converted my series 1 (1968) model 49 to having the later type magneto cover, I found that not all the later clutch cover types (with an adjusting plug) provided enough side clearance for the clutch spring adjusting nuts. I was just about at the point of replacing the clutch hub with one with shorter clutch spring pins, when I found a clutch cover that was the same shape inside as the original 1968 type clutch cover except that it had a pushrod adjustment plug in it.

My point is don't assume that a later (boot-heel shape) clutch cover will necessarily fit over the clutch spring retainers in your Lobito. It has a better chance of fitting if you have the pin type clutch spring retainers.

I found the clutch action with the original worm drive actuator was quite good (with aftermarket clutch plates and just enough spring preload). I changed my magneto cover to the later type so I could fit the model 49 motor in a later model frame with side frame rails under the motor. With the clutch cable retainer underneath, it interferes with the left side lower frame rail on the later Sherpa T/Alpina frames.

Edited by feetupfun