Ty 250 / 270 Pinky Rebore, Why?

andy m

:chairfall: Hi, I am on the look out for a Pinky Yam 250, as a novice I have been advised by a couple of mates that a Pinky is the way to go as I have a TLR200 and although I like it I just can not seem to get on with it. (Stop waffling) I have seen a Pinky for sale, it has been bored to 270. I was wondering if the rebore would change the bike that much power wise for a novice (read crap rider) also the inlet manifold has been shortened to "improve" power. Again should I as a novice maybe stay away and find a bog std 250. Or to put it simple. What does a 270 kit do to a Pinky. Thankyou. :chairfall::chairfall:

I had a 270 pinky with shortened inlet tract a few years ago and it was loverly - dead soft and sweet. I never rode a standard one though - maybe they are too!

It had been modified when I bought it - I believe it had a YZ piston in it. Perhaps they are easier to get hold of than a standard TY piston (or it had run out of oversizes...)

Good luck, anyway

Hi, The 270 yam isn't really a 270 it's a lot closer to 260, it uses an IT250 piston and requires machining the bottom of the barrel as well as a rebore which doesn't leave a lot of liner left.IT250 piston kits are still available as pattern parts I think. A YZ piston was used in earlier versions but due to the short skirt it caused too much piston slap and so the IT piston was used later on I think.

I've had two 270's both with the shortened inlet manifold and they are a lovely motor.I think the shortnened inlet manifold and porting makes the biggest difference though along with a decent silencer.

A 270 kit certainly won't make it unusable for a novice as the Yam compared to modern bikes is so forgiving and soft anyway.

Is it the one on ebay?