Clutch Breather

trapezeartist

I had never paid much attention to the breather tube on the clutch/primary drive case until today. While doing a bit of fettling I noticed that the oil was milky, so obviously I changed it. When I looked for a cause I spotted that the breather tube ended near the swing arm pivot. Well, last weekend I washed the bike after a trial by riding through some deepish water. The end of the tube would have been under water so I'm assuming it sucked up a bit of water then. I've no re-routed the pipe to finish near the spring top mount. Just a heads-up to anyone else to check it before they fill their clutch with mayonnaise.

And on a different (but related) note, what was the designer thinking of when he put two semi-captive nuts at the front of the engine plate where they are easily accessible but loose nuts and washers at the back where they are a swine to get at? 😡

• 4 months later...

On 11/25/2023 at 11:07 AM, trapezeartist said:

I had never paid much attention to the breather tube on the clutch/primary drive case until today. While doing a bit of fettling I noticed that the oil was milky, so obviously I changed it. When I looked for a cause I spotted that the breather tube ended near the swing arm pivot. Well, last weekend I washed the bike after a trial by riding through some deepish water. The end of the tube would have been under water so I'm assuming it sucked up a bit of water then. I've no re-routed the pipe to finish near the spring top mount. Just a heads-up to anyone else to check it before they fill their clutch with mayonnaise.

And on a different (but related) note, what was the designer thinking of when he put two semi-captive nuts at the front of the engine plate where they are easily accessible but loose nuts and washers at the back where they are a swine to get at? 😡

I am experiencing a problem that you may be able to help me with! I just purchased a 2023 EPure Race. I have probably 10 hours total on bike of easy riding. Bike has been great but the other day I got on the bike and as soon as I have it throttle it was very apparent that the clutch was slipping badly. So bad that any incline at all I can hear and feel the clutch slipping. Ride the bike one day with no issues and the next ride I had the problem. I looked at the oil window and the oil looks like a bluish color but not milky. Your comment about mayonnaise in your clutch hit home cause I do ride through creeks but they are pretty damn shallow. I was looking for the breather you mentioned and I am not seeing it by the swing arm pivot bolt? Would you be willing to take a picture for me? Any breather tube I have used on dirt bikes crank cases in the past at least had a filter on them. Maybe I’m looking for something that’s not there? Lol thank you very much for any help. I know the bike is under warranty but my closest shop is 14+ hours round trip and I’d have to do that twice to drop off and pick up bike. I’d rather get this figured out myself if possible! 

• 2 weeks later...

I can't get to the bike at the moment to take a photo, but the breather comes out of the clutch/primary drive cars on the right hand side just behind the motor. Peer in past the rear brake m/cyl and over the main power cables into the motor and you'll find it there. It should have a black plastic tube attached, which is long enough to lead up to somewhere near the top of the rear shock.

If you have any doubt over the clutch or it's oil, lay the bike on its side and take off the cover to have a look. It's a five minute job.