Stiffer rear spring for a Techno

bigboi

Hi all, 

I just bought a '98 Techno 270 Dougie Lampkin Replica. I'm a very heavy dude and almost bottom out the stock rear spring. Does anyone know any compatible replacement springs available out there, before I go spending hundreds at a custom spring shop? 

I found this custom shock being sold for 02-08 Betas, I wonder if it could be retrofitted? https://www.omniaracing.net/en/rear-mono-shock-absorber-hagon-for-beta-250-trials-20022008-p-133644.html

• 2 weeks later...

I return with knowledge! 

The stock spring is a 49x170mm unit. K-Tech makes a 52x160mm spring for road bikes with rates up to 120N. The 95N spring will fit inside the swingarm of the Techno with custom-made spacers to make up the difference in internal diameter and length. I confirmed this by 3D printing a cylinder of the new spring's dimensions, slotting it into the shock and installing it into the bike. With this and Jitsie's stiffer fork spring on the way, I should be good to go. Will report back once the parts arrive, just in case anyone in the future needs this info.

• 2 weeks later...

K-Tech spring fits and feels excellent. (To a newbie, at least.) Jitsie's 38mm Paioli fork spring also fits, with a +7cm (14cm overall) replacement preload spacer. Spacer diameter is 32mm.

Glad you found something. Even in 98 there were not many choices. The 02 to 08 was a side mounted shock with no linkage is why no one awnsered. Go out and have some fun.