Basic info new rider

Hello again , just need some basic questions answered for trials as I am aware of the answers for general dirt bikes

1/, I assume you select correct gear prior to taking of and rarely change while on the move

2/ while going slow in turns which brake is used or both and what proportion

3/ what angle should the bars be on , at the moment it's vertical

Thanks that's it for now

Hi, you are correct re gear selection. Vast majority of sections are ridden in same gear. If you're ever going to fluff a gear change you can guarantee it will be mid section. It can be needed eg drop a gear after hill climb for remainder but rarely and more likely at higher level.

Rear brake is used a lot in trials to control speed and smooth things out.  It's a technique that needs practice 

Good starting point for bars is to look at the bike from the side, follow the line of the forks and position them so the grips would be on that line, levers usually around 30° experts often have them flatter for techniques when on back wheel but that's beyond me!!

• Like 1

I agree with timdog. Just one small thing to add. On slow turns using the front brake is likely to cause it to slip away from you because it is at an extreme angle to the direction of drive and is already reluctant to roll. Except on an uphill turn I would use a bit of rear brake so that the motor has to work against it all the time. That way the only thing you need to control your speed is to modulate the throttle. Otherwise you may find yourself trying to flip between a touch of throttle, then a touch of brake, and that's much more difficult.